• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be kicked out of the house by only one parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcr229

Coast Guard
Air Force
Navy
Army
Marines

All are paying sign-on bonuses and will provide employment, health insurance, educational opportunities, housing assistance, etc.

I listed them in order of my personal preference but yours may differ.

B218

I sadly can't do military services due to my need for mental health medications, and can't do fast food due to my gluten allergy. I've been looking at retail and factory positions around me (62269 zip code, since I don't want to doxx myself), but it's quite hard to find something that will hire someone who doesn't have any experience in this area.

bcr229

How about an apprenticeship - HVAC, electrician, plumbing. My 20 year old nephew is starting one this summer and he will be paid enough to live on while going to school and OTJ training, then after it's over next year he's looking at $80-100k annually. He also doesn't have a college degree as he attended for a year and decided it wasn't for him.

commentator

I agree that the military is not for everyone. A lot of grocery stores need cashiers and stockers, I do not believe your gluten allergy would be a factor working there. Is there a temporary employment agency anywhere close by? They are usually a good place to begin with factory work without experience. How about warehouse or stocking jobs? Nursing homes and hospitals love young people who are able to do this type of work, even without experience they might be willing to give you a chance.

In our area, my nephews who are in supervisory positions in the highway construction trades are begging for people with a driver's license, experience not required. You can certainly check on apprenticeships, they are very good. But it does sometimes take a while to get admitted into them. How about a trade or vocational school for a while? I have seen a couple of young people who found this to be a much better alternative than college for them. Of course they're not going to set you up to move away from home immediately but then, I do not think any job you get is going to be sufficient to do this for a while.

One thing I would strongly suspect, if it gets down to brass tacks, your mom is probably not going to go all the way to the courts or the floor against your father. I strongly discourage you from quoting law to him that he can't do this to you. So it is much to your advantage to go along with him as best you can until you achieve a little more stability and have gotten independently established at something. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">