• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get child support stopped since kid is in juvie?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

Please note that you will have the added costs of traveling to CA for court. That needs to factor into your cost/benefit analysis.

zddoodah

So what I’m wondering is if there is a chance I could have the child support payments stopped since he isn’t actually in my ex’s custody anymore.
The more likely outcome would be that your support payments would get "transferred" from your ex to the state or the county in which the child is "incarcerated." I'd suggest seeking a telephone consultation with a family law attorney in the county where the support order was entered.

Please note that you will have the added costs of traveling to CA for court. That needs to factor into your cost/benefit analysis.
Unlikely. If the OP represents himself, he may be able to make court appearances by Zoom. If he retains counsel, there's virtually no chance he'd have to appear in court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The child support was set up in California 4-5 years ago. I guess technically adoption. He's not biologically mine, but my name is on his birth certificate. My ex-wife said he was and I didn't find out until years later he wasn't, but I still had to pay child support. Honestly, I would rather the money went to the state then her, so maybe I'll look into that. Out of curiosity could you give me a ball park idea of what it might cost, so I can figure out if it's worth it.
I'm going to step back a bit to address this post specifically. If you were married at the time the child was born, then you ARE the child's (legal) father. That means that you have been DAD since that point in time. Of course you had to pay child support, why wouldn't you? You are DAD.

I suggest (as others have above) that you contact a few attorneys in California to give you estimates for the cost. That is the only way to know. Nobody here can give you a "ball park" estimate of possible costs, as none of us are privy to all of the facts in the matter, and none of us are trying to solicit your business.

Yetiman

I'm going to step back a bit to address this post specifically. If you were married at the time the child was born, then you ARE the child's (legal) father. That means that you have been DAD since that point in time. Of course you had to pay child support, why wouldn't you? You are DAD.

I suggest (as others have above) that you contact a few attorneys in California to give you estimates for the cost. That is the only way to know. Nobody here can give you a "ball park" estimate of possible costs, as none of us are privy to all of the facts in the matter, and none of us are trying to solicit your business.
I'm not sure I get the point of your first paragraph as I never argued here against me being the legal parent or that I had to pay child support.

I'll call around and see what I can find out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not sure I get the point of your first paragraph as I never argued here against me being the legal parent or that I had to pay child support.

I'll call around and see what I can find out.
Then there was no reason for you to bring it up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">