• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you drop out at 16 in the State of New York without parental consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

I can think of two folks I went to school with that dropped out. I wouldn't call them friends so much as acquaintances. One died of gunshot wounds received during a drug deal at 33. The other was in and out of prison until he finally got a life sentence when he was in his 40's.

I should point out other than smoking pot in high school they weren't criminals until they both reached their mid 20's and realized the hole they had dug for themselves.

quincy

I can think of two folks I went to school with that dropped out. I wouldn't call them friends so much as acquaintances. One died of gunshot wounds received during a drug deal at 33. The other was in and out of prison until he finally got a life sentence when he was in his 40's.

I should point out other than smoking pot in high school they weren't criminals until they both reached their mid 20's and realized the hole they had dug for themselves.
I think those you know and those I know are probably pretty representative of dropouts everywhere. Half will do okay and half will not do well. :)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I believe that means if they are enrolled and are thus practicing truancy. I'm asking if they can de-enroll.
A MINOR cannot un-enroll; a parent/guardian signature is required for minors.

I say this as someone who has unrolled my child from a public high school in New York state this fall. My district's "Transfer or Withdrawal Notice" requires the signature of a parent/guardian.

I think you’re referring to the right of parents have over minors to do pretty much anything to them to do pretty much anything that they want. However, parents cannot get legal assistance to keep their child in school any more than they can get legal assistance to force their child to clean their room. Some legal resources misleadingly state that they can force children to attend school with legal assistance, but that’s talking about truancy and not whether you can de-enroll in the first place.
And, once again, according the official site for New York courts, nycourt.gov , you are WRONG.

Parents can file a PINs petition with the court. Included among the reasons for a PINs petition is the minor child not attending school.

If your custodial parent is against you dropping out, they can file a PINs petition if you refuse to go to school. Since the vast majority of Family Court judges in NY have completed high school, college, and beyond, they are inclined to agree with the parent that attending school is a reasonable expectation. Your recalcitrance will be viewed negatively.

Family Court is run by ADULTS. You would have to convince ADULTS that quitting school is the best option for you. Since you have no special skills, and would not be self supporting, you will not convince intelligent adults that quitting school is a good idea.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
"Down the street" I pointed out to our OP this stat:

Workers with less than a high school diploma are the lowest earners on average when you examine the average salary by education level. According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), median weekly earnings for those with less than a high school degree are $493. That works out to $25,636 per year, assuming a year of constant earning. The unemployment rate for Americans with less than a high school diploma is 8%, the highest of any of the educational categories. The Average Salary by Education Level - SmartAsset
And his response was a doozy:
"Correlation, not causation. If everyone says that you won't be able to get a high-paying job if you drop out, then only people who don't care about getting a high-paying job will drop out. And people who don't care about getting a high-paying job typically don't get a high-paying job."
He didn't mention there that his grand plan for a high-paying job was to hang out in Mommy's basement doing nothing. I predict great, great things for this one......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">