• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ChatGPT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state?CA
If I write a book with AI helping me is the work and ideas copyrighted?

Do I get IP on the pre edited and post edited work?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

The first problem with using AI to write a book for you is that you don't know what the AI used for the material it provided. If it includes significant quotes from material protected by copyright or anything protected by trademark then you'd be exposing yourself to possible liability for infringement of the work(s) used. The second thing is that you need to read the license you get from the AI provider to see if whatever original content it created may be used. Even if you get a right to use it, you might not get the copyright in that material and thus could not sue others for infringement should they copy that AI material.

IMO the best way to use AI as a writer is as a idea generator for story ideas and as an aid for research to give the material more accurate content (e.g. research on police procedure, how a particular item is manufactured or used, etc). Then use the information you get to write your own original content rather than quoting what the AI gave you.

You should also be aware that some AI results are terrible, and thus you'd want to verify anything significant to the story that AI gives you with your own independent research.

quincy

In a study done recently that examined the results of several AI-created works, it was discovered that much of what was written infringed on one or more copyright-protected works, sometimes in significant ways.

You should never rely on unknown sources for your writing. That is a good way to get sued.

(I will provide a link to the study later)

quincy

Following are links to two recent studies on ChatGPT and copyright infringement.

From the Congressional Research Service, September 29, 2023, “Generative Artificial Intelligence and Copyright Law:”

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/LSB/LSB10922

From Cambridge University Press, Nicola Lucchi, August 29, 2023, “ChatGPT: A Case Study on Copyright Challenges for Generative Artificial Intelligence Systems:”

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/european-journal-of-risk-regulation/article/chatgpt-a-case-study-on-copyright-challenges-for-generative-artificial-intelligence-systems/CEDCE34DED599CC4EB201289BB161965

quincy

thank you so I'll need legal guidance before I publish
Yes. It would be smart for you to have a publishing law professional guide you, especially if you intend to use ChatGPT as a tool.

A personal review and careful editing of your manuscript prior to publication can save you from a costly lawsuit. Having insurance enough to cover the costs of a lawsuit can also be smart.

Good luck with your writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">