• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Denied Proper Education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She still comes across as a bigot that her precious WHITE child shouldn't have to go to high school with NON WHITES.
I agree that it's coming across that way, but she is right about the racial makeup of the school in question.

allisonp320

She still comes across as a bigot that her precious WHITE child shouldn't have to go to high school with NON WHITES.
I can assure you that I am NOT a bigot, I am not prejudice. On the contrary, I chose Chamblee Middle School as my school of choice for the last three years because it has the perfect amount of diversity amongst the students there, and THAT'S the kind of school I believe all our children should have the opportunity to attend. You know, all of us (black, white, yellow, brown, green....Whatever you are)and our children, and their children need to experience the company of other ethnic groups and learn that it takes all kinds to make the world what it is, and learn how to bond together, even if only as classmates. What you learn early on, stays with you a lifetime. When we let our school s become segregated like we have, we are having our children miss out on one of the most vital lessons in life....how to get along and socialize with the likes of other human beings. That's all I really wanted for my daughter, was to instill in her how to be comfortable around anyone no matter how different they are than her, or how similar.

I don't care what any of you, or the school board thinks about it. It's a fact that when you take a school with the students being 100% of any race and you put one single child of another color, it will not be accepted as an equal within that school , nor would they feel an equality among it's peers. They are different from everyone else, and singled out as such. And in my case, that is what was going on. Not with all the students, but with enough of them that didn't like anyone "different" coming into their perfectly segregated school, and so they did the only thing that third and fourth graders know how to do, especially children that have never been taught that children that are different from them are people too, and they rebelled in her by bullying her, and just not being nice, and made her feel like an outcast.My daughter responded by feeling rejected and therefore failing grades and regressing herself, and by becoming depressed. Why in the world should I or would I have to ever subject my daughter to that kind of learning environment AGAIN?!? Now, just because I never complained to the school and demanded any documentation made about this except for making a comment to a teacher maybe, because I didn't want things to become worse for her, or have my self misunderstood, the school board wants to contend that it must not have happened? Why can't by me telling them now be documentation enough, or what about the last paperwork that they've written from when they first approved her to go to another school be enough?!? I can show them her last report cards from that school, and from Chamblee Middle that she was transferred to. It's a dramatic difference in how she did academically. ....The board is more worried about paperwork to be on file than my daughter's education!! Shame on the incompetent "A" holes. I don't think that my daughter is too "special" to be going to an all black school, by the way. I just know that she is not treated equally enough for me to be comfortable with her being there. It's hard to be treated equally, when you're just so different. Therfore, how can you feel accepted? Put yourself in her shoes.

HRZ

Sorry mom, life is full of imperfect situations ....the first Black or Jew in a WASP school back a bit didn't have it easy either . In large part it's up your daughter to set her own goals and measure up to her own standards . Being shunned is beyond a boards ability to address on a daily basis , fancy pr to the contrary .

I thought you meant overt physically bullying....and the school has a duty to address that ...but you and she bear the burden to prove the point .

In a convoluted sense the administration may turn summersaults to avoid loss of remaining white students . And you might find ways to work with them rather than against them.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Here's the thing: bullies will bully. They latch onto anything that's different
I can assure you that I am NOT a bigot, I am not prejudice. On the contrary, I chose Chamblee Middle School as my school of choice for the last three years because it has the perfect amount of diversity amongst the students there, and THAT'S the kind of school I believe all our children should have the opportunity to attend. You know, all of us (black, white, yellow, brown, green....Whatever you are)and our children, and their children need to experience the company of other ethnic groups and learn that it takes all kinds to make the world what it is, and learn how to bond together, even if only as classmates. What you learn early on, stays with you a lifetime. When we let our school s become segregated like we have, we are having our children miss out on one of the most vital lessons in life....how to get along and socialize with the likes of other human beings. That's all I really wanted for my daughter, was to instill in her how to be comfortable around anyone no matter how different they are than her, or how similar.

I don't care what any of you, or the school board thinks about it. It's a fact that when you take a school with the students being 100% of any race and you put one single child of another color, it will not be accepted as an equal within that school , nor would they feel an equality among it's peers. They are different from everyone else, and singled out as such. And in my case, that is what was going on. Not with all the students, but with enough of them that didn't like anyone "different" coming into their perfectly segregated school, and so they did the only thing that third and fourth graders know how to do, especially children that have never been taught that children that are different from them are people too, and they rebelled in her by bullying her, and just not being nice, and made her feel like an outcast.My daughter responded by feeling rejected and therefore failing grades and regressing herself, and by becoming depressed. Why in the world should I or would I have to ever subject my daughter to that kind of learning environment AGAIN?!? Now, just because I never complained to the school and demanded any documentation made about this except for making a comment to a teacher maybe, because I didn't want things to become worse for her, or have my self misunderstood, the school board wants to contend that it must not have happened? Why can't by me telling them now be documentation enough, or what about the last paperwork that they've written from when they first approved her to go to another school be enough?!? I can show them her last report cards from that school, and from Chamblee Middle that she was transferred to. It's a dramatic difference in how she did academically. ....The board is more worried about paperwork to be on file than my daughter's education!! Shame on the incompetent "A" holes. I don't think that my daughter is too "special" to be going to an all black school, by the way. I just know that she is not treated equally enough for me to be comfortable with her being there. It's hard to be treated equally, when you're just so different. Therfore, how can you feel accepted? Put yourself in her shoes.
You say that they want "documentation". Have you had your daughter in any sort of therapy or counselling after these traumatic experiences?

I was bullied in school. In one school, they decided to have a group of girls with similar problems have group sessions with the school's guidance counselor. I doubt any of our coping skills improved, but at least we knew we weren't alone. At the next school they offered *nothing*. I ended up transferring to a private school. Another person, according to Sports Illustrated, was inspired by his similar experiences at the same school to toughen up, and ended up becoming an NFL player.

You don't have to be a racial minority to be bullied. You just have to have a poor reaction to being bullied, or be easy to beat up, to be bullied.

allisonp320

Here's the thing: bullies will bully. They latch onto anything that's different

You say that they want "documentation". Have you had your daughter in any sort of therapy or counselling after these traumatic experiences?

I was bullied in school. In one school, they decided to have a group of girls with similar problems have group sessions with the school's guidance counselor. I doubt any of our coping skills improved, but at least we knew we weren't alone. At the next school they offered *nothing*. I ended up transferring to a private school. Another person, according to Sports Illustrated, was inspired by his similar experiences at the same school to toughen up, and ended up becoming an NFL player.

You don't have to be a racial minority to be bullied. You just have to have a poor reaction to being bullied, or be easy to beat up, to be bullied.
Yes, she has been seeing a psychologist since all that happened. I wonder if what the doctor has to say about it would matter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">