• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cooper13

What is the name of your state? Missouri. We have a child support order in effect where we came to an agreement of an amount, not using the Form 14. If requesting a modification, does the State go by the Form 14 or is there another burden of proof of change we need to show the state since we agreed the Form 14 was unjust and inappropriate before?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I suspect that it depends on the specifics of your case.

If both parents are in accord on the modification, and no state money is involved (SNAP benefits, for example), then the state formula need not apply.

However, if the parties are not in agreement, then the state formula may become relevant.

How long has the order been in effect, and what is the (legal) reason for the modification request?

zddoodah

We have a child support order in effect where we came to an agreement of an amount, not using the Form 14.
So...you and your child's other parent made an agreement, and the court entered an order based on that agreement. Correct? Are you the payor or the payee?

If requesting a modification, does the State go by the Form 14 or is there another burden of proof of change we need to show the state since we agreed the Form 14 was unjust and inappropriate before?
As far as I know, no one who follows these boards regularly is a Missouri family law attorney. Someone might google to ascertain what a "Form 14" is. That said, when seeking a modification, unless both parents are in agreement, it is typically required that the moving party demonstrate changed circumstances that warrant whatever modification is sought. Consult with a local attorney.

LdiJ

So...you and your child's other parent made an agreement, and the court entered an order based on that agreement. Correct? Are you the payor or the payee?

As far as I know, no one who follows these boards regularly is a Missouri family law attorney. Someone might google to ascertain what a "Form 14" is. That said, when seeking a modification, unless both parents are in agreement, it is typically required that the moving party demonstrate changed circumstances that warrant whatever modification is sought. Consult with a local attorney.

While I agree with this, "changed circumstances" include an increase or decrease in income of one of the parties. In Missouri, either party can request a recalculation of child support every three years without proving any kind of change in circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">