• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract for Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pizzatacos

What is the name of your state? Oregon

New to this forum and I'm not 100% sure I have the right topic thread for this - but here it goes!

I recently engaged with a company for a service, essentially to provide some professional services. The contract we agreed on and signed just a few months ago outlined responsibilities for each party and seemed like a pretty standard-fare contract. Chief among the commitments outlined in their portion of the contract was "We will continue to work with you until you [get the desired outcome]".

This company does this same service for hundreds, if not thousands of folks. Today they sent a template/canned email to their entire user base saying that the intention of their service was to achieve the outcome within 90 days, and as such they now will limit access of their support and the services they provide to 12 months, 'effective immediately'.

This doesn't sit right with me, and I'm curious of what my recourse, if any, is. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in any legal matters, but I very much thought the terms of a contract can't be changed without mutual agreement, and if mutual agreement can't be reached then a cancellation of the contract and refund is in order.

Things to note:
-I paid 10k for this service
-I've not gotten my desired outcome yet (but I believe I will)
-There is no modifications clause in their contract
-There is a no refund clause in the contract that reads "All sales are final and no refunds will be afforded and you waive any rights to charge-back your purchase with your credit card processor."
-There is a dispute resolution clause in the contract that sets arbitration to Florida, and that disputes can only be made on an individual basis and not class action.
-The email received today did not include updated agreements to be signed.

I have my contract and email if it's helpful for someone to review individually to provide advice, but did not want to post it publicly.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oregon

New to this forum and I'm not 100% sure I have the right topic thread for this - but here it goes!

I recently engaged with a company for a service, essentially to provide some professional services. The contract we agreed on and signed just a few months ago outlined responsibilities for each party and seemed like a pretty standard-fare contract. Chief among the commitments outlined in their portion of the contract was "We will continue to work with you until you [get the desired outcome]".

This company does this same service for hundreds, if not thousands of folks. Today they sent a template/canned email to their entire user base saying that the intention of their service was to achieve the outcome within 90 days, and as such they now will limit access of their support and the services they provide to 12 months, 'effective immediately'.

This doesn't sit right with me, and I'm curious of what my recourse, if any, is. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in any legal matters, but I very much thought the terms of a contract can't be changed without mutual agreement, and if mutual agreement can't be reached then a cancellation of the contract and refund is in order.

Things to note:
-I paid 10k for this service
-I've not gotten my desired outcome yet (but I believe I will)
-There is no modifications clause in their contract
-There is a no refund clause in the contract that reads "All sales are final and no refunds will be afforded and you waive any rights to charge-back your purchase with your credit card processor."
-There is a dispute resolution clause in the contract that sets arbitration to Florida, and that disputes can only be made on an individual basis and not class action.
-The email received today did not include updated agreements to be signed.

I have my contract and email if it's helpful for someone to review individually to provide advice, but did not want to post it publicly.
Contract review is beyond the scope of this forum. You will need to run it by a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">