• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to delinquency of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

studentmom223

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Can I be charged for having a messy home?

For some context, I am a single mother of a toddler and also have guardianship of my teenage sister. We had gotten in a car accident in January and with no family support my house was in disarray.
I always kept my room and the bathroom clean for my toddler to run around in, and his high chair may have had a couple food items from his last meal, but nothing moldy or with bugs.
My sister, on the other hand, would not clean her area. We would get into arguments often about it and she would tell me she was depressed. She had clothes all over the floor and a cup of old juice with fruit flies on it.
The kitchen was also pretty messy, there were dirty dishes in the sink and the floor had some bits of food from my toddler throwing his food.
After suffering injuries and intense pain, I really tried my best just to maintain all of the demands of being a single parent, while also healing from some extreme trauma.
I am now facing 2 misdemeanor charges for Contributing to Delinquency of a minor, with each child listed as the victim.
I understand I should've done something, although I have no idea what that something would be. With my sister out of the house keeping it clean has been a breeze although there are still dishes and stuff like that.
I'm not blaming her, but its nice to have a clean home without having to argue with someone every night.
I'm also in college and looking at internships for teaching. With these charges, that opportunity would be over. I don't qualify for a public defender because I'm not facing jail time. What should I do?

I also wanted to add that the man who kidnapped me a couple years ago is now in jail facing kidnapping and other charges against someone else. Could testifying in that case help me? Grasping at straws here, but I think it would also be healing to tell my story

adjusterjack

I am now facing 2 misdemeanor charges for Contributing to Delinquency of a minor,
The penalty for each is up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to $2500.

I hope you have an attorney. I know you are going to say you can't afford one. At least get a public defender. Or contact local legal aid.

The statutes involved are:

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03612.htm

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03613.htm

I also wanted to add that the man who kidnapped me a couple years ago is now in jail facing kidnapping and other charges against someone else. Could testifying in that case help me? Grasping at straws here, but I think it would also be healing to tell my story
Testifying against him (if even allowed - doubtful) may be cathartic, but won't make any difference in your misdemeanor charges.

Eekamouse

What does being in a car accident way back in January (that's almost 9 months ago) have to do with you keeping your home clean for your child? What injuries did you sustain that kept you from cleaning up? What brought the cops or child services to your home in the first place? Did you lose custody of your sister because of this?

quincy

... What brought the cops or child services to your home in the first place? ...
The answer to this question asked by Eekamouse is key.
What is the name of your state? Arizona
Can I be charged for having a messy home?

For some context, I am a single mother of a toddler and also have guardianship of my teenage sister. We had gotten in a car accident in January and with no family support my house was in disarray.
I always kept my room and the bathroom clean for my toddler to run around in, and his high chair may have had a couple food items from his last meal, but nothing moldy or with bugs.
My sister, on the other hand, would not clean her area. We would get into arguments often about it and she would tell me she was depressed. She had clothes all over the floor and a cup of old juice with fruit flies on it.
The kitchen was also pretty messy, there were dirty dishes in the sink and the floor had some bits of food from my toddler throwing his food.
After suffering injuries and intense pain, I really tried my best just to maintain all of the demands of being a single parent, while also healing from some extreme trauma.
I am now facing 2 misdemeanor charges for Contributing to Delinquency of a minor, with each child listed as the victim.
I understand I should've done something, although I have no idea what that something would be. With my sister out of the house keeping it clean has been a breeze although there are still dishes and stuff like that.
I'm not blaming her, but its nice to have a clean home without having to argue with someone every night.
I'm also in college and looking at internships for teaching. With these charges, that opportunity would be over. I don't qualify for a public defender because I'm not facing jail time. What should I do?

You certainly have had an awful lot to deal with. Being a single parent of a toddler can be overwhelming enough without the additional responsibility of caring for a teenage sibling. I am not surprised that keeping a clean house has not been a priority.

You really should have an attorney helping you handle the misdemeanor charges. Here is a link to Arizona legal resources:
https://azcourthelp.org/home/legal-aid-resources

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">