• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DnD character theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B218

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I recently cut ties with a friend and fear he may use my Dungeons and Dragons characters in his paid for, for profit game.

I understand Dungeons and Dragons is owned by Wizards of the Coast, but the characters themselves, of my own creation, would be my legal property. Or am I wrong?

adjusterjack

The question is moot if you have not registered your character creation with the US Copyright Office. Registration is required before you can file a lawsuit to protect your ownership. In other words, without registration, you can't sue so your ex friend can use your character with impunity.

If you think that there is a possibility of somebody using your character without your consent I suggest you hustle yourself to the US Copyright Office website and register your creation.

Meantime, there is another issue. What are your agreements with the owners of D&D and your ex friend regarding ownership and usage of your character.

Copyright can be modified and even waived depending the the terms of service that you agreed to in the past but might never have read or understood. It's those agreements that you have to look into.

B218

Copyright can be modified and even waived depending the the terms of service that you agreed to in the past but might never have read or understood. It's those agreements that you have to look into.
I told him in my last text to him he isn't allowed to use my characters I made, is that enough?

quincy

I told him in my last text to him he isn't allowed to use my characters I made, is that enough?
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I recently cut ties with a friend and fear he may use my Dungeons and Dragons characters in his paid for, for profit game.

I understand Dungeons and Dragons is owned by Wizards of the Coast, but the characters themselves, of my own creation, would be my legal property. Or am I wrong?
If the characters are creative enough and are original to you, you would own the copyrights in those characters and you would have the right to control who uses them and how they are used (with some exceptions). A copyright owner has the exclusive right to reproduce their work, display (or perform) their work, distribute their work and create derivatives of their work.

Copyrights are automatic once a creative and original work is fixed in tangible form. Registration is not necessary unless or until you wish to sue for copyright infringement. Registration is inexpensive ($35/work) and the copyright holder becomes eligible to collect statutory damages ($750 to $30,000/infringed work) if the work is registered prior to or within 3 months of infringement. If registered later, the copyright holder is limited to collecting profits of the infringer and/or provable losses due to the infringement. https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

Telling your friend that he cannot use your copyright-protected characters should be enough to prevent him from using them.

Do both you and your friend have licenses from Wizards of the Coast (a subsidiary of Hasbro) that are necessary to create your own games using the Dungeon and Dragons rules and mechanics? New licenses are available through Creative Commons.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">