• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emails from anonymous people

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ww200

What is the name of your state? WI

I keep getting weird emails from various email addresses. I've never emailed these email addresses. They seem to know my first name. Then always ask if I'm in Chicago. Act as if they know me.

Creepy.

quincy

I keep getting weird emails from various email addresses. I've never emailed these email addresses. They seem to know my first name. Then always ask if I'm in Chicago. Act as if they know me.

Creepy.
It sounds like your email address was either accidentally used by someone else, possibly when filling in an online form or, more likely, you were added to a mailing list that was sold to others, possibly after ordering something online or contributing to a cause (e.g., political campaign, charity).

You can mark all unwanted emails as spam or you could change your email address, the latter I understand would be a bit of a headache.

quincy

Are you in Chicago?
He’s in Wisconsin, according to his first post.

I know that after contributing this year and last year to an assortment of political candidates in various races around the country, I have received a flood of friendly “Hi, Quincy” emails from all sorts of people and organizations, thanking me for my contributions (and generally asking me for more money :)). They tend to be “personal” notes with an obvious purpose.

My email address is on a list of donors that apparently has been sold or passed along to everyone. These emails go right to my spam folder. Problem solved.

zddoodah

Creepy.
Fascinating. Do you have a question about a legal issue?

quincy

Fascinating. Do you have a question about a legal issue?
I think it is relatively safe to assume that ww200 wants to know if there is any legal solution to the problem of receiving unwanted “creepy” emails.

There can be a few legal avenues to explore when you are in receipt of unwanted emails. Whether any action (outside the ones already mentioned) would be worth the time and potential expense of pursuing will largely depend on the content of the emails (i.e., definition of “creepy”) and their source(s).

FarmerJ

another alternative is to ask your ISP for a second email name and slowly switch your friends and family members to it then perhaps leave your original be the one you rarely ever bother to go to any more

quincy

another alternative is to ask your ISP for a second email name and slowly switch your friends and family members to it then perhaps leave your original be the one you rarely ever bother to go to any more
It is relatively easy to set up several different email accounts, with unique usernames and email addresses. In fact, it is smart to have more than one email account (one for personal correspondence, one for work, one for sensitive material like bank information, one for website uses ...).

There are some good tutorials online. Just enter “set up multiple email accounts” in your search bar.

ww200

It is relatively easy to set up several different email accounts, with unique usernames and email addresses. In fact, it is smart to have more than one email account (one for personal correspondence, one for work, one for sensitive material like bank information, one for website uses ...).

There are some good tutorials online. Just enter “set up multiple email accounts” in your search bar.
Great will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">