• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer deducted money from final paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sk88rchick

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
I am a 1099 graphic artist that worked for a company about 25-35 hours per week in there office and some hours at home in which I kept track of and every week I gave them an invoice and every week I got paid no problem, but I had a creative difference with the brother-in-law and was fired. He told me I would get paid no problem, Well 3weeks later and calling and emailing all the time I finally got a check and it was short a lot!

I called him up on it and he said, it was because I made alot of mistakes and left me a business card with the wrong number on it, I said I see that and yes I agree, I did make mistakes, but when you hired me I am a graphic arts student and you knew that and because you were just starting out in business, that was fine, we can all learn together. then he said that he lost alot of money because of me, so he just decided to take it out of my paycheck and he can do it because people do it to him all the time and I am 1099. Then he said, he'll think about giving me the rest, then he said take him to court.

From what I researched from the dol, I would be considered a employee, because I meet the criteria, even though I am not receiving a W2.

What recourse do I have? What rights do a 1099er have? :confused:

Thank you

JETX

If you are in fact an employee, then you should file a wage complaint with your state labor agency.

However, if you are an independent contractor (as it appears), your only recourse is to consider filing a lawsuit against them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">