• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maine

I was issued a check from my mom’s estate in July.

I did not cash it until December.

It bounced because the account was closed. How can the executor close the account with my money in it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maine

It bounced because the account was closed. How can the executor close the account with my money in it?
The "how" is irrelevant.
Contact the executor about the matter.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Maine

A check for what? A gift your mother gave you from the estate, money the estate owed you for reimbursement of expenses of some kind, or something else? And how much was the check?

Waiting to cash a check runs the risk of this kind of thing happening. It is pretty much never the case that sitting on a check benefits you. And given all the options for depositing checks these days, including the ability to use your phone to do it at some banks, it shouldn't be very difficult to do. The executor probably didn't reconcile the account before closing it — took the money left in it out and closed it, perhaps just assuming you'd cashed your check.

Since the executor won't return your calls the next thing to do is write her a letter (and keep a copy of it) in which you tell her the check bounced, ask her to replace the check, and tell her that if she doesn't make good on the check you will sue her for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">