• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor not doing their job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I can't remember the rules about posting links on this site so... if you Google "iowa executor estate fee calculator" and run the numbers, the standard fee for a $900k estate is more than $16,000.

Obviously probate has been progressing if estate tax returns are getting filed, so the executor is doing her job.
Well that is what the lawyer said both he and the executor are getting. There is also about $200,000 right off the top that was given to the sister from an IRA I believe. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Everything including the house was sold already last july (2022) and anything else was all very easy. We all just feel that it could have been done by this time. I know that you don't know the executor but sadly she really is dragging her feet and it is very sad that she wants to be so vindictive. She really honestly told everyone that none of us deserved anything! Just sad!

bcr229

Assets such as life insurance policies, retirement accounts, joint bank accounts, bank accounts with a defined pay on death beneficiary, etc. can pass outside of probate directly to the named beneficiary. They would have nothing to do with you or the estate.

Assets such as life insurance policies, retirement accounts, joint bank accounts, bank accounts with a defined pay on death beneficiary, etc. can pass outside of probate directly to the named beneficiary. They would have nothing to do with you or the estate.
That is what we thought!

commentator

I saw a situation where the executor was dealing with a group of over-eager other relatives, and although she was doing what she was supposed to be doing in a timely manner, working with the attorney, at least one or two of these other prospective heirs took upon themselves to call the attorney regularly to demand a progress report on how they were progressing and when they were going to get their money. (The squeaky wheel gets the grease, you know!) And the attorney up and fired them all. No money refunded, no progress made on the estate, these people by their over eagerness managed to postpone the whole thing for about a year, and cost the estate that whole attorney's fee and the fee that had to be paid to another attorney later!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can say that it took >2years to clear everything up after Dad passed. My brother was executor, and despite my dislike, I understood what a difficult thing that was. Bureaucracy is difficult to deal with in good situations; more so in difficult times of grief ... When Mom passed, it was easier in those terms - because I spent the time between the two educating myself, making sure the proper contact info was put in place, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">