• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

financial compensation for a hit and run (civil compromise)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgelz

Newport Beach, California.
My wife's car was involved in a hit and run while parked at the beach. The uninsured driver was charged for hit and run. I received an email from the public defender's office stating that her client would like to "make you whole and reimburse you in the form of a cashier's check or money order by way of a civil compromise. They're hoping to have the charges dismissed.
They implied they would cover my insurance deductible of $500, but there were other expenses incurred. In addition to our deductible, we had to pay money for a rental car while our vehicle was in the shop for two months being repaired. We also lost a full day our our airbnb rental at the beach. Is it in poor taste for me to ask for these expenses to be covered as well?

***Also of interest may be nitrous oxide and balloons found on the dash and seats of the car. She was not charged for a DUI, though the oxide and balloons were noted by the police. I have pictures.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Poor taste? Of course not. You are entitled to every penny you are out due to the accident.
With that said, I'm not sure how you lost a full day at your airbnb. That's the only item that I would question.

dgelz

Poor taste? Of course not. You are entitled to every penny you are out due to the accident.
With that said, I'm not sure how you lost a full day at your airbnb. That's the only item that I would question.
Lost a day of our Airbnb because we had to take care of the police report, rental car, running around, etc…thst took our entire day away. Might be a long shot, but we certainly didn’t plan on that when we spent $6,000 for a week at the beach.
No biggie, I guess…but it sure screwed up our vacation plans.

Zigner

Lost a day of our Airbnb because we had to take care of the police report, rental car, running around, etc…thst took our entire day away. Might be a long shot, but we certainly didn’t plan on that when we spent $6,000 for a week at the beach.
No biggie, I guess…but it sure screwed up our vacation plans.
It's worth a shot to ask.

zddoodah

Is it in poor taste for me to ask for these expenses to be covered as well?
No offense, but who cares about "poor taste"? Your rental car expenses are a normal element of damages. The time spent dealing with the situation isn't legally compensable, but you can, of course, ask for whatever you want.

adjusterjack

Itemize it, total it up, submit it.

Don't count on getting too much more than the $500 already offered. People who can't afford insurance often don't have any money.

Cant hurt to ask.

Zigner

Itemize it, total it up, submit it.

Don't count on getting too much more than the $500 already offered. People who can't afford insurance often don't have any money.

Cant hurt to ask.
The other guy seems to have substantial motivation to come up with the money.

It's reasonable to request reimbursement for all related expenses, including the rental car and lost Airbnb day. Ensure you communicate all costs clearly and professionally. The nitrous oxide presence may be relevant, but consult with legal advice on its potential impact. Maintain a transparent dialogue for a fair resolution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">