• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced sale of property???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ace3408

What is the name of your state? NY

I am currently a co-borrower on a mortgage with a family member. I have not lived in the residence for 3 years. I was told by someone that I could force the sale of the property if it cannot be refinanced solely by the other co-borrower. Then I was told by another that it is not possible, legally. Which is true, or what other recourse do I have so that I am not held liable for that mortgage, and I can get another mortgage

HomeGuru

ace3408 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I am currently a co-borrower on a mortgage with a family member. I have not lived in the residence for 3 years. I was told by someone that I could force the sale of the property if it cannot be refinanced solely by the other co-borrower.

**A: this person knows.
Then I was told by another that it is not possible, legally.

**A: this person has no clue.
Which is true, or what other recourse do I have so that I am not held liable for that mortgage, and I can get another mortgage

**A: search partition.

A

ace3408

search partition?

Thank you homeguru, but what is a search partition.
And do I just need to have a lawyer draw up papers to force sale. Don't necessarily have to force sale if there is another way would be quicker or easier, just as long as I am not held liable for said mortgage, and will not have any liability for anything that goes on on that propoerty....

HomeGuru

ace3408 said:
Thank you homeguru, but what is a search partition.
And do I just need to have a lawyer draw up papers to force sale. Don't necessarily have to force sale if there is another way would be quicker or easier, just as long as I am not held liable for said mortgage, and will not have any liability for anything that goes on on that propoerty....
**A: sorry, it means search this website or the internet using the search word "partition".
Demand a refinance or you will need to need to file for partition (civil litigation). There is no way to reduce your liability and you need to remove your liabilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">