• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulently collecting arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jasb229

What is the name of your state? Texas.

My ex who is in Nevada has been collecting "arrears" child support payments (70K) fraudulently for years. How can I recoup that money or part? I have proof, and the other documents (State child support office provided documents) showing so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Texas.

My ex who is in Nevada has been collecting "arrears" child support payments (70K) fraudulently for years. How can I recoup that money or part? I have proof, and the other documents (State child support office provided documents) showing so.
Why haven't you addressed this prior to now?
How is she "fraudulently" collecting the money?

Jasb229

Why haven't you addressed this prior to now?
How is she "fraudulently" collecting the money?
I have, repeatedly (2x a year since 06) but it fell on deaf ears until the current case worker who reviewed the case, asked her for proof, she couldn't provide it and they closed it. She filled for arrears in Nevada, where she lives, claiming non payment. Due to the interstate process they just never looked into it to see if it was true. I have most receipts, bank deposit slips, copies of checks, and day care and school records from when she lived with me. Plus state paper work (child support office) showing payments made for 4 years she claimed I never did.

zddoodah

You're going to need to retain the services of a family law attorney. However, if this has been going on since 2006 without you doing anything about it,** you're likely to be entitled to only a few years of interest.

You wrote that you "have, repeatedly [done something] (2x a year since 06)," but it's not clear what you've done. After this happened more than once, you should have initiated legal action.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You're going to need to retain the services of a family law attorney. However, if this has been going on since 2006 without you doing anything about it,** you're likely to be entitled to only a few years of interest.

You wrote that you "have, repeatedly [done something] (2x a year since 06)," but it's not clear what you've done. After this happened more than once, you should have initiated legal action.
And it probably would have cost less than $70K to retain a lawyer.

Jasb229

And it probably would have cost less than $70K to retain a lawyer.
I did try going that route, unfortunately none of the attorneys I spoke with wanted to touch it because the amount wasn't worth their time and it was still an ongoing case. The case was closed today, by her state based on what I previously gave them thanks to a case worker that actually did their job, looked into everything, and didn't just push it off like it's been done previously. Now that I supporting documents from them (payments I made to the state agency, and her court papers saying I didn't pay filed in a different state) they are unofficially recommending I pursue legal action. Since they are a neutral agency they can't actually give legal advise.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I did try going that route, unfortunately none of the attorneys I spoke with wanted to touch it because the amount wasn't worth their time and it was still an ongoing case. The case was closed today, by her state based on what I previously gave them thanks to a case worker that actually did their job, looked into everything, and didn't just push it off like it's been done previously. Now that I supporting documents from them (payments I made to the state agency, and her court papers saying I didn't pay filed in a different state) they are unofficially recommending I pursue legal action. Since they are a neutral agency they can't actually give legal advise.
So sue her for the over-payment AND legal fees.

Or not. Because it's one thing to sue, and another to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">