• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Funds in the Individual Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiga

I have replied to the divorce papers that were served to me, and now the divorce proceedings are underway. I require guidance on safeguarding the funds in my personal bank accounts to ensure minimal impact during the process. I'm seeking advice on safeguarding the funds in my personal bank accounts to minimize their impact during the process.
  1. Will the divorce process affect the funds in my individual bank account?
  2. Can I withdraw as much as possible from my individual bank account, and would this help in minimizing the impact?

adjusterjack

Will the divorce process affect the funds in my individual bank account?
It might. You might have to share your money with your wife. Your wife might have to share her money with you. Depends on you state, which you haven't revealed, though you were asked. Depends on your financial status vs your wife's financial status.

Can I withdraw as much as possible from my individual bank account, and would this help in minimizing the impact?
Look at the divorce papers you were served. There may be an injunction against doing that.

Even if you could take out the money it wouldn't make any difference in the "impact."

LdiJ

I have replied to the divorce papers that were served to me, and now the divorce proceedings are underway. I require guidance on safeguarding the funds in my personal bank accounts to ensure minimal impact during the process. I'm seeking advice on safeguarding the funds in my personal bank accounts to minimize their impact during the process.
  1. Will the divorce process affect the funds in my individual bank account?
  2. Can I withdraw as much as possible from my individual bank account, and would this help in minimizing the impact?
It depends on whether the funds in the accounts are premarital funds or marital funds. If they are premarital funds (or gifts or inheritances) then they are likely your separate property. If they are marital funds they are subject to division even if the accounts are only in your name. You can always withdraw the funds but that doesn't mean that a judge won't force you to account for them and still include them in the division of property.

Bottom line? Trying to hide property is generally a very poor idea with mostly negative consequences

zddoodah

I require guidance. . . . I'm seeking advice
You can't reliably get those things from anonymous strangers on the internet (especially when you haven't even identified the relevant state).

Will the divorce process affect the funds in my individual bank account?
I don't know if "the process" will, but the eventual judgment/decree might.

Can I withdraw as much as possible from my individual bank account
We have no reason to think you lack this ability.

would this help in minimizing the impact?
Legally, no. However, it sounds like you are contemplating doing illegal things to hide assets.

Individual bank accounts are subject to division based on marital assets. Withdrawing large sums may be viewed unfavorably by the court, potentially affecting the final settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">