• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Funeral expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa2024

Hello
I live in Pa. My uncle died and I had to plan and pay for his funeral upfront. There won’t be much much money, but will I get atleast some of my money back from his estate? Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my question

adjusterjack

Hello
I live in Pa. My uncle died and I had to plan and pay for his funeral upfront. There won’t be much much money, but will I get atleast some of my money back from his estate?
Were you the official, court authorized, representative (administrator) of the estate?

If not, you will have to be reimbursed by the representative of the estate.

Keep in mind that the representative of the estate could take a fee off the top.

Guide to Executor of Estate Fees in Pennsylvania | Klenk Law

zddoodah

will I get atleast some of my money back from his estate?
We have no way of predicting this.

Is someone administering his estate? If so, you need to make sure and submit a claim for the funeral/burial expenses in a timely manner. Such expenses are generally the highest priority when it comes to paying creditors.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We have no way of predicting this.

Is someone administering his estate? If so, you need to make sure and submit a claim for the funeral/burial expenses in a timely manner. Such expenses are generally the highest priority when it comes to paying creditors.
In PA, they are third in priority. Here is the list (from the link I shared above):

(1) The costs of administration.
(2) The family exemption.
(3) The costs of the decedent's funeral and burial, and the costs of medicines furnished to him within six months of his death, of medical or nursing services performed for him within that time, of hospital services including maintenance provided him within that time, of services provided under the medical assistance program provided within that time and of services performed for him by any of his employees within that time.
(4) The cost of a gravemarker.
(5) Rents for the occupancy of the decedent's residence for six months immediately prior to his death.
(5.1) Claims by the Commonwealth and the political subdivisions of the Commonwealth.
(6) All other claims.

Lisa2024

Were you the official, court authorized, representative (administrator) of the estate?

Keep in mind that the representative of the estate could take a fee off the top.

[/QUOTE

My Mom or I will be appointed administrator of the estate due to we are his only surviving relatives. He was never married and has no children.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It doesn't happen "automatically." One has to apply to be appointed administrator.

LdiJ

My Mom or I will be appointed administrator of the estate due to we are his only surviving relatives. He was never married and has no children.
Then it shouldn't be a problem to get reimbursed for the funeral expenses...assuming that the estate has the assets to reimburse you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">