• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GeoBlocking?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

I am traveling in Europe. I am trying to access the forum, but keep getting blocked. On my last trip, it still worked.

Did FreeAdvice start GeoBlocking?

STEPHAN

Access denied Error code 1020
You do not have access to forum.freeadvice.com.
The site owner may have set restrictions that prevent you from accessing the site. Contact the site owner for access or try loading the page again.
Additional information
The access policies of a site define which visits are allowed. Your current visit is not allowed according to those policies.
Only the site owner can change site access policies.

PayrollHRGuy

Generally error 1020 is

Corrupted cache and browsing data can cause error code 1020 in Cloudflare. The best way to resolve the issue is by clearing out the cache. This won't delete any personal files of yours, nor will it remove saved passwords, so, there is nothing to lose.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's more or less the same error message that eerelations has been getting in Mexico.

Google will give you several options to work around GeoBlocking. And considering the high prevalence of hacking and this being a site that supports US law only, it makes perfect sense to GeoBlock the rest of the world.

STEPHAN

Clearing the cache did not handle it. I have tried multiple computers and browsers.

When I use a VPN it works.

Clearly GeoBlocking.

The only problem: GeoBlocking is usually 90% accurate.

PayrollHRGuy

Clearing the cache did not handle it. I have tried multiple computers and browsers.

When I use a VPN it works.

Clearly GeoBlocking.

The only problem: GeoBlocking is usually 90% accurate.
Interesting. Well, at least you can get on using a VPN. Are you in Eastern Europe?

quincy

Why would one exclude these countries if you can make money from ads on the website?
FreeAdvice might have limited access to the site through GeoBlocking because of requirements in their licensing/copyright agreements. The laws of other countries that might restrict the publication of certain content can also be a reason for GeoBlocking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">