• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Golfing, broke window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Duecedog

I was playing golf. I hit my ball which ended up hitting a tree and when it bounced off the tree it shot straight left and it went through a homeowners sliding glass door window and broke it. I talked to the owner right away and gave all my information. He told me what happened when one of his other windows was broke the guy that broke it just called and got an estimate and they fixed it from there. I called and was able to find a window company that would do the repair and did a free estimate and told me it would cost $804 to fix. I called the homeowner back and offered him the 804 in cash and he said he would check with a buddy and see if he could do it cheaper. He called me back a week later and said his buddy couldn't do it and to order the replacement. Again I offered him the $804 in cash so I wouldn't have to worry about it and he said he wanted me to just call the window place and get things going. My question is, what is my responsibility in this situation, Even though my ball hit a tree and after that where it goes is out of my control I still want to make things right and I am offering to pay for the whole replacement cost as long as it isn't more than $804 but am I the one that needs to contact the window company and get everything going?

LdiJ

I was playing golf. I hit my ball which ended up hitting a tree and when it bounced off the tree it shot straight left and it went through a homeowners sliding glass door window and broke it. I talked to the owner right away and gave all my information. He told me what happened when one of his other windows was broke the guy that broke it just called and got an estimate and they fixed it from there. I called and was able to find a window company that would do the repair and did a free estimate and told me it would cost $804 to fix. I called the homeowner back and offered him the 804 in cash and he said he would check with a buddy and see if he could do it cheaper. He called me back a week later and said his buddy couldn't do it and to order the replacement. Again I offered him the $804 in cash so I wouldn't have to worry about it and he said he wanted me to just call the window place and get things going. My question is, what is my responsibility in this situation, Even though my ball hit a tree and after that where it goes is out of my control I still want to make things right and I am offering to pay for the whole replacement cost as long as it isn't more than $804 but am I the one that needs to contact the window company and get everything going?
It is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Why should the homeowner have the hassle?

adjusterjack

Even though my ball hit a tree and after that where it goes is out of my control
No. You couldn't control your shot. That's what caused it to hit the tree and make you liable for the damage done by your errant ball.

I called and was able to find a window company that would do the repair and did a free estimate and told me it would cost $804 to fix.
"Told" you?

Did the person actually go inspect the damaged door? With you present?

How about getting a WRITTEN estimate with the company's letterhead or estimate form after the door is inspected in your presence.

I am offering to pay for the whole replacement cost as long as it isn't more than $804 but am I the one that needs to contact the window company and get everything going?
I'm guessing that the homeowner doesn't want to risk having the guy come out and say "Oh, now that is see it, it will cost more."

So, yeah, if you want to limit your exposure, take care of it.

Though, personally, if I were the homeowner I would get my own estimate, have the work done, and present you with the bill.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Though, personally, if I were the homeowner I would get my own estimate, have the work done, and present you with the bill.
This...really.
In fact, I'm surprised that any legitimate contractor would want to actually work for someone who is not the homeowner.

With that said, I applaud the OP's desire to "do the right thing," particularly considering that the homeowner and the golf course should have taken reasonable precautions against such incidents, especially since this is not the first time it's happened.

Of course, I'm basing my answer on US law, and the OP hasn't given us the state that this occurred in.

quincy

What is the name of your state, Duecedog?

Although it is nice that you offered to pay to repair the glass, I question whether you should have to pay anything. Were you golfing on a golf course? Does the house you hit border the course?

quincy

Quincy may be referring to the age old controversy about golf ball liability. Like, is the golfer negligent for his errant golf ball? Does the homeowner assume the risk by buying the home on or adjacent to the golf course or country club?

Lots of articles on line about it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=golf+ball+breaks+window+who+is+liable&ia=web
It depends on the state, among other factors, how liability is determined. There are several cases that can be referenced once the state is known.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">