• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bridgetcassidy

I am a female bus driver and have been threatened numerous times by a male disabled and elderly passenger of getting me fired
This passenger has been verbally abusive numerous times as well and has called my manager and accused me of illegally allowing passengers of drinking alcohol
And the reason for this is I had ,had my limit of verbal abuse from this passenger and no longer loaded & unloaded his groceries that I had been doing as a courtesy and on acasion picked up his meds for him
As soon as I stopped being courteous is when he had called my manager with his false accusations
I had stopped any verbal pleasantries as well
My manager had informed this passenger that it was not part of my duties to load and unload groceries or pick up medicine for passengers and would look into his accusations and this passenger then threatened to have her fired which made my manager quite uneasy with this passenger
And informed me of his accusations
And explained that I will not load or unload any passengers groceries from that point on
Is this harassment by the passenger?

adjusterjack

Yes, it's harassment. But it's nothing that gives you any legal recourse, yet.

If you lose your job over it, you could have grounds for a defamation lawsuit against the passenger, for all that's worth.

Your manager appears to be defending you so wait and see how this plays out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not illegal harassment.

If at some point in future you lose your job, are demoted, have your pay reduced, or suffer some other form of damages, come back and see us then. The passenger does not have the power to have either of you fired unless your employer chooses to fire you.

quincy

I am a female bus driver and have been threatened numerous times by a male disabled and elderly passenger of getting me fired
This passenger has been verbally abusive numerous times as well and has called my manager and accused me of illegally allowing passengers of drinking alcohol
And the reason for this is I had ,had my limit of verbal abuse from this passenger and no longer loaded & unloaded his groceries that I had been doing as a courtesy and on acasion picked up his meds for him
As soon as I stopped being courteous is when he had called my manager with his false accusations
I had stopped any verbal pleasantries as well
My manager had informed this passenger that it was not part of my duties to load and unload groceries or pick up medicine for passengers and would look into his accusations and this passenger then threatened to have her fired which made my manager quite uneasy with this passenger
And informed me of his accusations
And explained that I will not load or unload any passengers groceries from that point on
Is this harassment by the passenger?
For the benefit of others, in your other thread you said you lived in New York.

I agree with the other responses. Unless the oral harassment escalates to threats of violence, or your employment is adversely affected by the passenger’s lies, you do not appear to have any legal action worth pursuing.

Edit to add a link to New York’s harassment statutes (see 240.25 et seq):
https://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article240.php#p240.25

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">