• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven’t received settlement, am worried

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wickerincident

Hello, I hope I am posting in the right place. I’m at a loss as far as what to do.
I became part of a lawsuit in 2013. It isn’t a class action lawsuit, but it is a group of us who were injured by the same product.
At that time, there was only one law firm willing to represent us, but during the intervening years, the cases were consolidated and transferred to other firms twice.
We are not allowed to discuss specifics of the case, not even with other people who were hurt.
The manufacturer agreed to settle with us in August of 2020.
In January 2021, I signed paperwork agreeing to the settlement, including the amount I would receive.
I’ve never received it. I’ve checked in with the attorney’s office via email monthly since January of 2021. They cannot say when we will receive our money and the reasons they are giving do not make sense to me.
The last two months, they have not responded to my emails at all.
I am concerned they collected our money and kept it.
How do I find out if this has occurred? Is this a reasonable amount of time to wait for payment after the settlement was agreed upon? What do I need to do?
Thank you in advance for any help you’re able to give.
If there is more information I need to provide, I am happy to do so.

adjusterjack

What state?
What court?
What is the name of the defendant.

Without that information I don't see how you can expect even a remotely helpful comment, other than "wait."

Have you tried an internet search for information about the case?

wickerincident

What state?
What court?
What is the name of the defendant.

Without that information I don't see how you can expect even a remotely helpful comment, other than "wait."

Have you tried an internet search for information about the case?
An internet search is how I got the information that the settlement was agreed to in August 2020. I didn’t know an agreement had been reached until I received the paperwork to sign in January 2021.
The Judge is Padova in the Eastern District of PA.
(I live in TX.)
The defendant is Bayer Inc.

quincy

I’m not sure. My last name isn’t listed but it is the correct product and court. I’ve never had my cause number. I know there were a little more than 5k of us that were part of the settlement.
There apparently have been no new updates as of November 2022 on the $1.6 billion settlement agreed to by Bayer Essure. Because of the size of the settlement and the number of plaintiffs involved (39,000), it might take awhile for the money to reach the victims. And I believe there are additional plaintiffs with separate suits that still need to be resolved.

wickerincident

There apparently have been no new updates as of November 2022 on the $1.6 billion settlement agreed to by Bayer Essure. Because of the size of the settlement and the number of plaintiffs involved (39,000), it might take awhile for the money to reach the victims. And I believe there are additional plaintiffs with separate suits that still need to be resolved.
Thank you, Quincy. I appreciate it.

zddoodah

We are not allowed to discuss specifics of the case, not even with other people who were hurt.
Are not? Present tense? Who said you're not allowed to do this? Is there a court order in place to that effect?

The manufacturer agreed to settle with us in August of 2020.
In January 2021, I signed paperwork agreeing to the settlement, including the amount I would receive.
Did you keep copies of the settlement paperwork? If so, what does it say about when you'll receive the money?

The Judge is Padova in the Eastern District of PA.
(I live in TX.)
The defendant is Bayer Inc.
Are we talking about the Essure birth control litigation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">