• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Turnover in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iEngineer

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello! I live in a planned residential development with a HOA organized under the Pennsylvania Uniform Planned Community Act as a Pennsylvania Flexible Planned Community. Our community is still in the process of being built, as such we haven’t reached the milestone where the HOA is turned over to the residents; therefore, the HOA is still under the declarant’s control. I’m looking for legal advice/opinions on a certain clause in the declaration, which indicates turnover will occur after 2-years of inactivity.

Background: The declarant develops the land after obtaining all permits/approvals and sells ready to build lots to a home builder. The home builder then contracts with future owners and builds the home, then transfers title to the owner. The builder and developer (declarant) are two different entities. The declarant has completed development of Phases 1 through 3. The builder has completely built and sold all available lots/homes to date in the first three phases. The developer has applied for a fourth phase; however, they have not received approval and the last application with the local municipality was in January 2021.

Residents are frustrated with the lack of consideration to concerns/maintenance items of common elements. Essentially the HOA does not respond/consider members concerns or requests. These include mainly landscaping of common elements and repairing lighting fixtures in common elements. It is also very difficult for anyone to get required alteration requests reviewed. In reality, it’s difficult to even call/email with anyone, including a third-party property management company hired by the HOA to deal with such requests.

Our HOA board consists of 4 members, 3 of which are appointed by the declarant. The fourth member was elected by the members; however, this elected individual gets out-voted/overruled on any non-required action items. The elected individual is also not even provided contact information for any of the other members (instead they are only provided with contact information for an employee of the declarant). Said employee also attends any required HOA meetings with proxy votes for the other three declarant appointees.

Our development is 49% complete based on the total built units to the total planned units.

Question: In reading the HOA docs, there is a section describing control of the HOA and the process for replacing declarant appointees with elected members. In this section, it discusses a possibility for the HOA to be turned over if “…two (2) years after all Declarant’s have ceased to offer Units for sale in the ordinary course of business, or two (2) years after any development right to add new Units was last exercised.”

The last sale of a unit was 9/8/2020 (declarant sold lot to builder), and 12/29/2020 (builder sold improved lot to owner).

There have not been any development rights to add new units. The fourth phase that was applied for to the municipality was included in the total number of planned units.

Based on this, is there the possibility that we can push to get the HOA turned over? We would really like to make some changes and get some maintenance/upkeep of the common elements taken more seriously.

What would this process look like? I’m assuming they wouldn’t just hand it over willingly once two years have passed. I’m also assuming this changes nothing to the total number of planned units and that the declarant would still hold title and development rights to that land, but they would lose control of the HOA and the new board would be elected.

I’ve contacted the builder, and they indicated back in April of this year that they had no lots to sale in this community. Since they never followed through on their applications for the next phase, there also aren’t any more lots that have been created, since the application for the fourth phase included a subdivision plan.

How strong of a case would this be since the documents read “in the ordinary course of business”. I understand there was a global pandemic in this timeframe, but real estate was experiencing record sales. In fact, the same builder completed and sold out of multiple other communities nearby during the same time when there was no action taken in our community.

Ultimately, we just want to have a say in getting things taken care of around here, as well as having actual contact with our board. If it takes going to court and getting the declarant removed due to the 2-year clause, I am willing to do it.

I’d plan on reaching out to other members for support, and then take this to a local attorney…I just wanted to get a legal perspective on this and if you think there’s something there with this 2-year clause, or if it’s likely a waste of time and we are just stuck waiting until we get to 75% complete.

adjusterjack

Sorry, but nobody here is going to speculate based on a single sentence taken out of context from the document.

If enough homeowners care about this, they should all chip in a few hundred each until there is enough of a legal fund with which to hire an attorney who can read the entire document.

LdiJ

Sorry, but nobody here is going to speculate based on a single sentence taken out of context from the document.

If enough homeowners care about this, they should all chip in a few hundred each until there is enough of a legal fund with which to hire an attorney who can read the entire document.
I agree that the homeowners should band together to create a legal fund to deal with the matter. However, I really don't agree with giving them the impression that it would take several hundred dollars each from a lot of people just to get the document read.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello! I live in a planned residential development with a HOA organized under the Pennsylvania Uniform Planned Community Act as a Pennsylvania Flexible Planned Community. Our community is still in the process of being built, as such we haven’t reached the milestone where the HOA is turned over to the residents; therefore, the HOA is still under the declarant’s control. I’m looking for legal advice/opinions on a certain clause in the declaration, which indicates turnover will occur after 2-years of inactivity.

Background: The declarant develops the land after obtaining all permits/approvals and sells ready to build lots to a home builder. The home builder then contracts with future owners and builds the home, then transfers title to the owner. The builder and developer (declarant) are two different entities. The declarant has completed development of Phases 1 through 3. The builder has completely built and sold all available lots/homes to date in the first three phases. The developer has applied for a fourth phase; however, they have not received approval and the last application with the local municipality was in January 2021.

Residents are frustrated with the lack of consideration to concerns/maintenance items of common elements. Essentially the HOA does not respond/consider members concerns or requests. These include mainly landscaping of common elements and repairing lighting fixtures in common elements. It is also very difficult for anyone to get required alteration requests reviewed. In reality, it’s difficult to even call/email with anyone, including a third-party property management company hired by the HOA to deal with such requests.

Our HOA board consists of 4 members, 3 of which are appointed by the declarant. The fourth member was elected by the members; however, this elected individual gets out-voted/overruled on any non-required action items. The elected individual is also not even provided contact information for any of the other members (instead they are only provided with contact information for an employee of the declarant). Said employee also attends any required HOA meetings with proxy votes for the other three declarant appointees.

Our development is 49% complete based on the total built units to the total planned units.

Question: In reading the HOA docs, there is a section describing control of the HOA and the process for replacing declarant appointees with elected members. In this section, it discusses a possibility for the HOA to be turned over if “…two (2) years after all Declarant’s have ceased to offer Units for sale in the ordinary course of business, or two (2) years after any development right to add new Units was last exercised.”

The last sale of a unit was 9/8/2020 (declarant sold lot to builder), and 12/29/2020 (builder sold improved lot to owner).

There have not been any development rights to add new units. The fourth phase that was applied for to the municipality was included in the total number of planned units.

Based on this, is there the possibility that we can push to get the HOA turned over? We would really like to make some changes and get some maintenance/upkeep of the common elements taken more seriously.

What would this process look like? I’m assuming they wouldn’t just hand it over willingly once two years have passed. I’m also assuming this changes nothing to the total number of planned units and that the declarant would still hold title and development rights to that land, but they would lose control of the HOA and the new board would be elected.

I’ve contacted the builder, and they indicated back in April of this year that they had no lots to sale in this community. Since they never followed through on their applications for the next phase, there also aren’t any more lots that have been created, since the application for the fourth phase included a subdivision plan.

How strong of a case would this be since the documents read “in the ordinary course of business”. I understand there was a global pandemic in this timeframe, but real estate was experiencing record sales. In fact, the same builder completed and sold out of multiple other communities nearby during the same time when there was no action taken in our community.

Ultimately, we just want to have a say in getting things taken care of around here, as well as having actual contact with our board. If it takes going to court and getting the declarant removed due to the 2-year clause, I am willing to do it.

I’d plan on reaching out to other members for support, and then take this to a local attorney…I just wanted to get a legal perspective on this and if you think there’s something there with this 2-year clause, or if it’s likely a waste of time and we are just stuck waiting until we get to 75% complete.
You do not mention anywhere that you and the other homeowners pay HOA dues and, if you do pay association dues, what these dues are supposed to cover.

I agree with the others that no one on this forum can tell you what you can and can’t do about the HOA without reading the HOA documents in their entirety.

iEngineer

Sorry I only posted the sentence about the 2-year clause because I was looking for some general interpretation of the “in the ordinary course of business”. Here’s a snip of that section (paragraph 12.1):
We do pay monthly dues which cover the maintenance of the common elements. There’s a section which lists all of the common elements as well. Some things are not even touched on that list. The Declarant controlled board only holds an annual meeting and denies any requests for other meetings (plus the actual board members done even show up…they send a proxy).

Back in 2020 we pressed the property manager and the proxy about the lack of maintenance (particularly landscaping and snow removal). At first they said that the areas we were questioning (which were listed as common elements) haven’t yet been turned over to us, therefore the developer was responsible for maintaining those items. We brought up that there is money shown on the financial statements paying for landscaping and snow removal. We asked for a list of services we pay for (mainly to make sure we are actually receiving what we pay for), but never receive anything. There’s never any follow up after the meetings.

Our main issue is lack of communication. Everything’s supposed to be ran through our third party property manager but this company went down hill. The third party company used to have a local employee appointed as a manager, communication wasn’t bad then…but said employee resigned and for a long time there was no local presence. We just learned that the monthly inspections that were supposed to be done by the manager weren’t even being done. This management company charges over $1,000 a month for their professional services and we can’t get the Declarant appointed board to even respond to complaints that this is a problem. We could write a small novel with all the issues people have experienced trying to talk to the HOA though…even just trying to get a fence approved.

I think there’s an interest in forming a group to speak with an attorney locally. I just wanted to get a little prepared on how that works. Do we need a majority, or could anyone bring action against this clause? To help lower the cost, I would want to get as many people as I could to chip in some money though. Would we be on the receiving end too though (i.e. group of residents v. HOA), or could we stick to the Declarant (so the Declarant gets to deal with their legal fees)?

iEngineer

Gonna take a lot more than just getting the document read.

:eek:
Yeah, I expect it’ll take a court order to turn it over :cry:

The developer only cares about making money… not taking care of the property. What’s strange is that normally developments don’t go like this. I’ve worked with a lot of residential developments and most move a light speed. After all they already sunk the money into the property and did some site improvements…why not just work to finish it and start to recoup their money?

quincy

Yeah, I expect it’ll take a court order to turn it over :cry:

The developer only cares about making money… not taking care of the property. What’s strange is that normally developments don’t go like this. I’ve worked with a lot of residential developments and most move a light speed. After all they already sunk the money into the property and did some site improvements…why not just work to finish it and start to recoup their money?
In 2020, the pandemic was making it difficult for many property developers and property managers to work as they once had. In many cases, there was a lack of operating cash and/or a lack of building materials. Many developments were stalled. In addition, there were many employees who were no longer available to work or who could no longer be paid to work. Property developers in many places are just now beginning to recover.

I say that because I suspect that the developers/property managers may have had to limit common area maintenance during this time to conserve cash. I also suspect that some of the homeowners did not pay their HOA dues (or their home loans) for a period of time, as their own employers had to make cost cuts and job cuts in order to survive.

You can make an appointment to see an attorney in your area for an analysis of your HOA documents to get a better idea of where you stand legally. We cannot do legal document analysis here as that exceeds the scope of this forum. It gets into the practice of law. You will need to see an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

iEngineer

That’s obviously a big concern that I’m sure will be argued in the developers favor. I’d hope unsuccessfully, of course though lol!

I work with a lot of developers in our area, and there were indeed changes, but everyone else was able to overcome them. Most accounted to delays and cost overages but with new construction, the costs were passed along to the consumer with sky high prices paired with record low mortgage rates.

The biggest red flag for me is their inaction on doing things that move the development forward.

I’m going to reach out to an attorney I know and see what they’d want to review things here and the legal opinion on what milestones would have to happen (or not happen) for a 2-year inactivity turnover.

quincy

That’s obviously a big concern that I’m sure will be argued in the developers favor. I’d hope unsuccessfully, of course though lol!

I work with a lot of developers in our area, and there were indeed changes, but everyone else was able to overcome them. Most accounted to delays and cost overages but with new construction, the costs were passed along to the consumer with sky high prices paired with record low mortgage rates.

The biggest red flag for me is their inaction on doing things that move the development forward.

I’m going to reach out to an attorney I know and see what they’d want to review things here and the legal opinion on what milestones would have to happen (or not happen) for a 2-year inactivity turnover.
I think reaching out to the attorney you know for a review is a good idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">