• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zonk1972

My friend's house was selling and had an inspection done on her house. They inspected the stucco and found that the wood behind the stucco was damaged. So, the buyer bailed out. But, bottom line is she has to take the whole stucco down and wood and replace at a cost of $24,000!!! But, could this be covered under Homeowners insurance?

Just Blue

My friend's house was selling and had an inspection done on her house. They inspected the stucco and found that the wood behind the stucco was damaged. So, the buyer bailed out. But, bottom line is she has to take the whole stucco down and wood and replace at a cost of $24,000!!! But, could this be covered under Homeowners insurance?
What state? What was the cause of the damaged wood?

Just Blue

It is in NJ and i believe it was water that got in from cracks in the stucco.
I really doubt that would be covered by the insurance because the damage occurred (seemingly) due to your friend neglecting basic maintenance of the exterior. I'll tag @adjusterjack for you , he is an insurance adjustor.

FlyingRon

Agreed, had their been a covered immediate event that caused the damage (like a tree falling on the house or whatever), it would be covered. Ongoing deterioration isn't going to be.

Some stucco systems were known to be problematic, but the legal recourse about those with the purveyors of such systems is long past.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">