• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you legally stop or at least stall a tax sale without paying the tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Collision of the real world and the pretend world of the sovereign citizen.
Having dealt with a lot of sovereign citizen and other types of the IRS used to refer to as illegal tax protestors (a designation that Congress about 25 years ago banned the IRS from using), most were very sincere in their beliefs, though misguided by whatever organization introduced them to that set of beliefs. Some people are so enticed with the idea that they might be able to live free of any government control or obligation that they are very hard to persuade out of those beliefs. Some of the tax protest folks I investigated while at IRS would cling to those beliefs even after I had seized most of their assets to pay the tax the IRS had computed was due. I tried explaining to them how their position was ending up costing them a whole lot more than if they just complied with the tax law in the first place. Those explanations largely went in one ear and out the other. I feel bad for the taxpayers duped by these organizations. I have no sympathy for the promoters of these theories. They often make money selling materials that explain what they are supposed to do to be free of the government. The materials are utterly worthless, and it's truly a crime that they make money selling that stuff to people whom they get to trust them, only to end up leading their followers into years of legal and financial problems.

davew9128

I read posted Tax Court opinion every day, and it amazes me how often when even after being given not so subtle warnings from the judge about potential penalties for advancing these arguments, that taxpayers will up to and through the conclusion of the trial advance frivolous arguments (usually some form of BS such as sovereign citizenship) and then whine when either upon motion from IRS counsel or on its own accord the judge imposes up to a $25k penalty for doing so. Or the repeat offenders who come to the court again and again doing it.

Just Blue

I read posted Tax Court opinion every day, and it amazes me how often when even after being given not so subtle warnings from the judge about potential penalties for advancing these arguments, that taxpayers will up to and through the conclusion of the trial advance frivolous arguments (usually some form of BS such as sovereign citizenship) and then whine when either upon motion from IRS counsel or on its own accord the judge imposes up to a $25k penalty for doing so. Or the repeat offenders who come to the court again and again doing it.
Every so often my brother will watch a SC in a courtroom YouTube video...it's always the same crazy BS argument... and, despite myself, I get sucked into watching the foolishness. It's like staring at a bad accident on the side of the highway. I just can't help but look.

Foamback

We used to have problems with some boilermakers, one family in particular, that would write “does not apply” on their w2.

The IRS wants a whole number (or zero or exempt). So then payroll wouldn’t accept it, so we couldn’t get the working, then the BA would get involved but absolutely put no effort towards resolving the problem, etc etc

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">