• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find a civil rights lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state?CA
How do I search & find a civil rights lawyer?
A hearing officer gagged me while being cross examined.
The hearing officer actually said I have had problems with your lawyer so I'm silencing you and went into a tirade of insults and civility.
I had a seizure
HO knew I had weak heart recovery from a heart attack

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Go to your phone book or your favorite search engine.

Alternately, call your state bar association, your local Legal Aide or any law schools in your area.

They will give you a list of names.

After that it's up to you - just start dialing. Recommend you do NOT email - call.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The hearing officer actually said I have had problems with your lawyer so I'm silencing you and went into a tirade of insults and civility.
I had a seizure
IMO the best way is finding someone you know who has used a civil rights lawyer and was happy with the results. The next best way is to contact the state/local bar or bar association (they are not the same thing in many states) for information on which lawyers practice civil rights law in your area and contact a few of them to see what they think about your situation and whether you have any legal remedy for it. Once you have the list narrowed down check with state agency that disciplines lawyers to see if there is any public record of any recent disciplinary actions taken against the attorney. The phone book, internet searches, and lawyer ads would be the very bottom of my list of ways to find a good lawyer that practices in the area of law that applies to your situation.

I suggest meeting with at least two or three attorneys once you've got some top choices selected. Those conversations will give you both an idea if you have a worthwhile claim, what the lawyer will charge you, and how well you are likely to get along with the lawyer. A lot of potential clients don't give enough thought to that last item, but how well you get along with the lawyer goes a long way in determining how satisified you'll be with the whole experience.

What kind of hearing was this? Was it in court, a government agency administrative hearing, in a private arbitration, or something else? I fail to see how the hearing officer's problems with YOUR lawyer would interfere with cross examination by the opposing counsel. So there is a piece of the puzzle missing here. What was your lawyer doing that the hearing officer did not like?

Litigator22

I had a seizure
What are you looking for in another attorney and why?

I'm guessing not a lawyer that is especially approved by ACLU and carrying an appropriate price tag. (As in multiple hundred$ of dollars per hour.)

I don't mean to countenance the hearing officer's' actions in cutting short the cross examination or his rude demeanor, yet I am curious as to why you wish to voice objections.

After all the principal purpose of cross examining a witness is to attempt poke holes and to destroy the positive effects of the witnesses' direct.

In other words, a tactic meant to reduce the value of your hand of cards as dealt during direct examination.

Cross examination is an acquired art and not quickly learned. Also, it can make or destroy a lawsuit. And the most pleasant words the examiner can hear at its conclusion is: Next witness"!

Perhaps you could describe the nature and purpose of the hearing and your concerns with a bit more detail.

sefnfot

Perhaps you could describe the nature and purpose of the hearing and your concerns with a bit more detail.
should I describe it here or start a new thread? - everything is recorded on video- zoom -
The reason for my question is that internet searches keep on pointing me to employment lawyers not civil rights lawyers.
I will use the info mentioned above and see.
I believe a good attorney can do here in California what they did in Baltimore.
A LL had to pay $186,000 judgment for federal civil rights claim even though they followed the city LL laws.
So civil rights Trumps city laws.

quincy

should I describe it here or start a new thread? - everything is recorded on video- zoom -
The reason for my question is that internet searches keep on pointing me to employment lawyers not civil rights lawyers.
I will use the info mentioned above and see.
I believe a good attorney can do here in California what they did in Baltimore.
A LL had to pay $186,000 judgment for federal civil rights claim even though they followed the city LL laws.
So civil rights Trumps city laws.
First, please do not compare your case to anyone else’s case. No two cases will present with the same set of facts. In other words, do not get your heart set on a $186,000 judgment. :)

If you would like to provide more information on your situation, please do it in this thread. There is no need to start an additional thread. But, if you currently have an attorney and are looking for another attorney, it might be best if you kept all details of your court case off of a public forum. Your attorney probably would advise that.

The following US Commission on Civil Rights link perhaps could be used to obtain direction to civil rights attorneys in your area.

https://www.usccr.gov/files/pubs/crd/stateloc/ca.htm#:~:text=These laws prohibit discrimination in,denial of family care leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">