• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get money for living from my husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessica70

What is the name of your state? Florida
I live in Florida in same house with my husband, we are legally married for more than 20 years and have college going son together. I have no job and have health problems. I have small house jointly with my husband and get $600 rent jointly per month. My husband has good job. He never gives me any money from salary, except for around $100 a month. I am mainly living on gifts from friends for almost everything from clothes, travel, medical co-pay, etc. Is there any law that mandates my husband to give me fixed monthly money from his salary? What I need to do to get this?

adjusterjack

Is there any law that mandates my husband to give me fixed monthly money from his salary?
No. Not if you are still married to him.

What I need to do to get this?
You file for divorce. Petition the court for possession of the house and spousal support. Consult a divorce lawyer. Seems to me you're in a lousy marriage with a rat. Time to get out while you still have some of your life left.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Florida in same house with my husband, we are legally married for more than 20 years and have college going son together. I have no job and have health problems. I have small house jointly with my husband and get $600 rent jointly per month. My husband has good job. He never gives me any money from salary, except for around $100 a month. I am mainly living on gifts from friends for almost everything from clothes, travel, medical co-pay, etc. Is there any law that mandates my husband to give me fixed monthly money from his salary? What I need to do to get this?
Have you filed for divorce? He is paying all the bills if you are not working. Who is paying for the child's college? Have you discussed with your husband you need money for clothes and copay for medical? Travel is not necessarily a necessity if you mean for vacations and such.

Have you filed for SSI? Or SSD? Do you qualify for any of that? What health problems do you have? What is your education level? I have health problems and I work full time.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. Not if you are still married to him.

You file for divorce. Petition the court for possession of the house and spousal support. Consult a divorce lawyer. Seems to me you're in a lousy marriage with a rat. Time to get out while you still have some of your life left.
It depends. Maybe since she is not working, he is barely covering all the bills. Maybe she has expensive tastes. Maybe what she considers a "good job" doesn't mean high paying. We don't have nearly enough information to make an opinion that the hubby is a rat or the marriage is lousy. Do you know how expensive college is? Because if hubby is paying for college, he may not have anything left from his "good job" ... How involved is wife in the actual finances?

zddoodah

I live in Florida in same house with my husband, we are legally married for more than 20 years and have college going son together. I have no job and have health problems. I have small house jointly with my husband and get $600 rent jointly per month.
Are there two houses here: (1) "same house with my husband;" and (2) a "small house [from which you] get $600 rent . . . per month"? Why don't you have a job? What sorts of "health problems"?

Is there any law that mandates my husband to give me fixed monthly money from his salary? What I need to do to get this?
No. The law has nothing to say about the finances of married couples who are not parties to a divorce case. You didn't tell us anything about why this situation exists, but if you don't like it, you can file for divorce and seek alimony.

Just Blue

What is your disability?

aldaron

How come no one is mentioning this lady get a job like her husband did working his butt off? 7.3 million jobs are hiring in the USA. Ladies you want equality it's time to step up and take responsibility for your own actions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How come no one is mentioning this lady get a job like her husband did working his butt off? 7.3 million jobs are hiring in the USA. Ladies you want equality it's time to step up and take responsibility for your own actions.
I am waiting for her to answer my questions which she has ignored or not seen. And the bolded is a sexist bunch of misogynistic bull.

LdiJ

Did you ignore the fact that she said that she had health problems?

zddoodah

Did you ignore the fact that she said that she had health problems?
I have health problems and a great job. Since she didn't provide any detail (which I assume was the point of "Just Blue's" inquiry), her statement is largely meaningless.

That said...

How come no one is mentioning this lady get a job like her husband did working his butt off?
I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I didn't mention it because it's legally irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">