• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get my money back for $140/year for 8 years Amazon prime subscription

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

What is the name of your state?

FL

I had no idea I was paying for this til I decided to check my cc they sold me when it all started. I know I must have clicked some button that according it them meant I agreed to these mysterious terms but no way in hell would I agree to pay any store $140 a year to shop on their site.

quincy

FL

I had no idea I was paying for this til I decided to check my cc they sold me when it all started. I know I must have clicked some button that according it them meant I agreed to these mysterious terms but no way in hell would I agree to pay any store $140 a year to shop on their site.
To cancel your Amazon Prime subscription, go to your Amazon Prime account. You can still be held responsible for charges for the subscribed year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeld=GTJQ7QZY7QL2HK4Y

You should not expect to get a refund for subscription costs for the last 8 years.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And a Prime subscription hasn't been $140 for eight years. That's a recent uptick in price.

But, really - you didn't notice the charge for *eight* years? Please - you ain't getting that money back.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

FL

Just based on what you put in your post you won't force Amazon to refund those eight years of payments for Prime. First, you had to actively sign up for it and when you did you were given the opportunity to read the terms of the deal. Either you read it and agreed (and don't remember) or, like a lot of people do, you just clicked the agree button because you were too impatient to read it. Neither of those things gives you a good legal claim to get that money back. If Amazon does offer any refund to you, that's a customer service decision to try to keep a customer happy. Amazon does not have to do it.

You have another problem with pressing for a refund. You've been charged for for eight years and you've not complained in all that time. That tells me that you either knew of the charges but were satisfied with Prime until recently or that you don't read your credit card statements. Amazon is not liable to you in either case.

If you don't want Prime, go ahead and cancel it. But Amazon has no legal obligation to refund you for all those years of the service. It is up to you to read contracts you enter into and it is up to you to review your credit card and bank statements carefully each month. If you don't do that and promptly object to charges that should not be there, you may end up having to pay those charges.

The bottom line here is that YOU are the best protection you have against this kind of unwanted charge. No one else is responsible for your failure to watch out for yourself. When you don't read agreements and statements timely and timely object to anything wrong, that falls on you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I had no idea I was paying for this til I decided to check my cc they sold me when it all started.
Unless you've been in a coma, you not paying attention to your statements for 8 YEARS is on you.

I know I must have clicked some button that according it them meant I agreed to these mysterious terms but no way in hell would I agree to pay any store $140 a year to shop on their site.
You clicked on a button indicating that you agreed to the terms of service.
You failed to cancel your trial membership. You didn't contest the credit card charges.

No business is under any legal obligation to read your mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">