• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to transfer a co-op from one person to another?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Quincy: That last link you sent seems particularly useful. It seems to be saying that the tax would be two dollars for every $500 on properties valued under one million dollars (which mine is).

I suppose one would prefer not having to pay anything if one doesn't need to, at least that is now a number that I can start with and it is not something astronomical like 33 percent of the price of the whole apartment (though it is a chunk of change I would rather keep in my pocket).

I am however confused by your comment: "To avoid transfer taxes, the conveyance should be without consideration (money, property, any other thing of value)."

I suppose, then, it is possible to avoid the transfer tax since nothing is going to be conveyed for the property?

Maybe upon second reading that will become more clear, unless you know outright.

By the way, adjusterjack, I will live in it myself.

Thank you!
If your sister simply signs a quitclaim deed transferring the property to you and you do not in turn pay her for doing so, it would be a bona fide gift not subject to transfer tax.

Payment/consideration is money, real property, personal property, or anything else of value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">