• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to fire my pregnant nanny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cici95

What is the name of your state? California

Basically now that my nanny is pregnant she is unable to keep up with the activity demands of my high energy child. It's negatively affecting his sleep schedule. I think it it would be more beneficial to get a new nanny that can work with his high energy needs better than to deal with this for the rest of her pregnancy. However, I know firing someone for being pregnant is a big no no. Is there anyway around that in a case like this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Didn't we already discuss this a few weeks ago?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/can-i-get-in-trouble-for-replacing-my-nanny-while-she-was-on-maternity-leave.663214/

ETA:

Ah, I see that the original thread involved maternity leave and FMLA. This is a separate issue.

However, the same basic theory applies. It is illegal for an employer who is subject to discrimination laws to fire someone BECAUSE they are pregnant, but it is not illegal to fire them because they are unable to do the job. Unless you also have four other employees, you are not subject to CA's Pregnancy Discrimination Act since that applies to employees of five employees or more.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">