• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm on the receiving end of a hustle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cersei

I have a small service business in Florida. We did a a job a few weeks ago for a woman that recently moved here from Washington. We did the job and she gave us a check for $2500, and the check was returned "unable to locate account". The bank said either the check was a complete fraud, or it was written on an account that is so old it's been purged from their system.

Through a series of emails to this woman I've found she's trying to get her insurance to cover this as part of Hurricane Ian. It won't happen, but she's trying anyway.

The matter is now in the hands of law enforcement for grand theft, but this will literally take months to process because of the research that has to be done on their end.

I've done some investigating on this woman, and she's a hustler. Filed for bankruptcy 7 times in 4 states, set up a GoFundMe for hurricane assistance, got a HUD loan for $30K on a house she just bought in 2022, and opened a business in the local mall. There are 22 court cases involving her in Washington, but unfortunately I can't access them.

So, here I sit literally seething. She knows what she's doing because in one of the emails she said that I'd just be spinning my wheels trying to do anything to her, and she's right! She's hustling somewhere to get the money to pay me, and she knows the minute I take the money the charges are dropped.

What can I do to her...legally? Can I take all of the information and post it online? Can I alert the businesses she deals with? What can I do to this creature?

quincy

I have a small service business in Florida. We did a a job a few weeks ago for a woman that recently moved here from Washington. We did the job and she gave us a check for $2500, and the check was returned "unable to locate account". The bank said either the check was a complete fraud, or it was written on an account that is so old it's been purged from their system.

Through a series of emails to this woman I've found she's trying to get her insurance to cover this as part of Hurricane Ian. It won't happen, but she's trying anyway.

The matter is now in the hands of law enforcement for grand theft, but this will literally take months to process because of the research that has to be done on their end.

I've done some investigating on this woman, and she's a hustler. Filed for bankruptcy 7 times in 4 states, set up a GoFundMe for hurricane assistance, got a HUD loan for $30K on a house she just bought in 2022, and opened a business in the local mall. There are 22 court cases involving her in Washington, but unfortunately I can't access them.

So, here I sit literally seething. She knows what she's doing because in one of the emails she said that I'd just be spinning my wheels trying to do anything to her, and she's right! She's hustling somewhere to get the money to pay me, and she knows the minute I take the money the charges are dropped.

What can I do to her...legally? Can I take all of the information and post it online? Can I alert the businesses she deals with? What can I do to this creature?
Sue her in small claims for the $2500.

I would avoid posting anything about her online.

adjusterjack

What can I do to her...legally?
Nothing. Either wait for the money, take it and forget it, or wait and hope the prosecution is successful and she goes to jail.

Can I take all of the information and post it online? Can I alert the businesses she deals with?
Forget about it. She's a hustler. She'll sue you for defamation. Even if she doesn't win, it will cost you a fortune in attorney fees just to get out from under.

What can I do to this creature?
Nothing. Chalk it up to experience. Check out your customers more carefully in the future. Everything you learned about her after you got screwed could have been learned up front.

Cersei

Here is a link to information on filing a small claims lawsuit in Florida, this from Palm Beach County:

https://www.mypalmbeachclerk.com/departments/courts/county-civil-court/small-claims

Claims under $8000 are filed in County Civil Courts. Because courts have their own court rules that you will need to follow, you can learn what is expected by either calling the court or locating the court’s website online.
Thank you, and I've looked into small claims...I'm better off hoping she doesn't get the money together and locking her up.

quincy

Thank you, and I've looked into small claims...I'm better off hoping she doesn't get the money together and locking her up.
If the woman has a history like the one you describe, it shouldn’t be too long before she winds up in a jail cell.

Sorry you got conned.

commentator

Please be patient and follow through with pressing charges and going to court, etc. These people bank on the fact that people will usually give up and decide it's too much trouble to press the matter. That's how they stay out of jail to continue to con other people. Don't get mad, do not trash her on line or any sort of physical or verbal threatening and anger. Just patiently persist in corrective action. Good luck to you.

quincy

... These people bank on the fact that people will usually give up and decide it's too much trouble to press the matter. That's how they stay out of jail to continue to con other people. Don't get mad, do not trash her on line or any sort of physical or verbal threatening and anger. Just patiently persist in corrective action. Good luck to you.
... or they avoid prosecution by fleeing one state (Washington, in this case) and setting up their con in another state (e.g., Florida).

What is a bit surprising is that the woman does not seem to be hiding her identity or, with a local mall business, hiding her location where she can be served a summons and complaint. She should be fairly easy to sue.

Cersei

... or they avoid prosecution by fleeing one state (Washington, in this case) and setting up their con in another state (e.g., Florida).

What is a bit surprising is that the woman does not seem to be hiding her identity or, with a local mall business, hiding her location where she can be served a summons and complaint. She should be fairly easy to sue.
Exactly this! The sheer audacity it takes to move to a new state and start your scheming again! She's worn out the court systems in WA, NV, OR, and now she's starting in FL. She purchased a home in January of 2022, and by June she received $30,000 on a HUD Partial Claim Mortgage...did she even make one payment???

How does someone that has filed for 7 bankruptcies with 3 Chapter 7 discharges get a mortgage? The last discharge was 9/2017...how????

How do you publicly start a business while all of this is going on? Did I mention she's bought a motorcycle and posted it online right after she wrote the worthless check!!!

Her and her entire family have ruined their lives and moved here to FL "to start over". I've found a tremendous amount cases on the entire family...the sister has had her nursing license revoked in WA for stealing drugs and forging medical records, and they've all moved here to FL.

I can't believe I've encountered such a person, and I can't believe the system moves so slowly. I have had to change the way we do business continually to try to protect the business. The criminals will always come up with a new scam.

Cersei

Please be patient and follow through with pressing charges and going to court, etc. These people bank on the fact that people will usually give up and decide it's too much trouble to press the matter. That's how they stay out of jail to continue to con other people. Don't get mad, do not trash her on line or any sort of physical or verbal threatening and anger. Just patiently persist in corrective action. Good luck to you.
While every piece of me wants to smear her from every direction, I know I have to stay quiet. It's infuriating, but I will do it!

Here's the BIG issue...if she comes up with the money I will be forced to take payment! Even though I have provided the police/prosecutor with every piece of evidence they are still required to contact her issuing bank to research the account, and they said it will take months to have that done.

So, if she gathers the money before they are able to file actual charges I have no choice. I have to take the money.

quincy

Exactly this! The sheer audacity it takes to move to a new state and start your scheming again! She's worn out the court systems in WA, NV, OR, and now she's starting in FL. She purchased a home in January of 2022, and by June she received $30,000 on a HUD Partial Claim Mortgage...did she even make one payment???

How does someone that has filed for 7 bankruptcies with 3 Chapter 7 discharges get a mortgage? The last discharge was 9/2017...how????

How do you publicly start a business while all of this is going on? Did I mention she's bought a motorcycle and posted it online right after she wrote the worthless check!!!

Her and her entire family have ruined their lives and moved here to FL "to start over". I've found a tremendous amount cases on the entire family...the sister has had her nursing license revoked in WA for stealing drugs and forging medical records, and they've all moved here to FL.

I can't believe I've encountered such a person, and I can't believe the system moves so slowly. I have had to change the way we do business continually to try to protect the business. The criminals will always come up with a new scam.
In addition to the pending criminal charge and the possibility of you filing a civil action against the woman (which you might want to do soon, before she packs up her belongings and heads to another state), you can also report the woman to the Consumer Protection Division of Florida’s Office of the Attorney General. Here is a link to start you off:

https://www.myfloridalegal.com/consumer-protection
... So, if she gathers the money before they are able to file actual charges I have no choice. I have to take the money.
Yes. It would be silly for you not to take the money owed you. I would not, however, accept a check from the woman.

bcr229

Yes. It would be silly for you not to take the money owed you. I would not, however, accept a personal check from the woman.
Fixed. OTOH if we met at this woman's local bank and the bank teller handed me a cashier's check drawn on this woman's account, I would accept that.

I'm not taking a credit card from her either. Cash or cash equivalent only.

quincy

Fixed. OTOH if we met at this woman's local bank and the bank teller handed me a cashier's check drawn on this woman's account, I would accept that.

I'm not taking a credit card from her either. Cash or cash equivalent only.
Yes, Cersei should not accept a personal check. Cash would be best - unless she has expanded her operations to include counterfeiting. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">