• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impact on H1-B and H4 after getting EAD from approved I485

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

varajput

I am on H1-B visa and my wife is on H4 Visa, stamped in our passport, validity till Jan 2026.

We got our EAD after our I485 approval. I am using my H1-B visa for my Job and My wife started working after getting EAD and using EAD(from I485) for job.

Does it mean.

1. She lost her H4 visa and now she will only be able to enter US (if we go outside US)using her Advance Parol?
  2. Does it mean I also lost my H1-B and have to use Advance Parol to enter US(if we go outside US).
  3. If answer for 2nd question is yes then does it mean I have to give EAD to my employer and asking them to use it for employment purpose.

LdiJ

I am on H1-B visa and my wife is on H4 Visa, stamped in our passport, validity till Jan 2026.

We got our EAD after our I485 approval. I am using my H1-B visa for my Job and My wife started working after getting EAD and using EAD(from I485) for job.

Does it mean.

1. She lost her H4 visa and now she will only be able to enter US (if we go outside US)using her Advance Parol?
  2. Does it mean I also lost my H1-B and have to use Advance Parol to enter US(if we go outside US).
  3. If answer for 2nd question is yes then does it mean I have to give EAD to my employer and asking them to use it for employment purpose.
I am confused. If your I485 is approved then you have been approved for a green card. If you have been approved for a green card then you don't need an EAD, the green card itself is authorization for work. If you have a green card then you don't need an advance parole document either.

Are you working with an immigration attorney? If so, I recommend that you direct your questions to the immigration attorney, who is familar with your situation and can best answer your questions.

varajput

I am confused. If your I485 is approved then you have been approved for a green card. If you have been approved for a green card then you don't need an EAD, the green card itself is authorization for work. If you have a green card then you don't need an advance parole document either.

Are you working with an immigration attorney? If so, I recommend that you direct your questions to the immigration attorney, who is familar with your situation and can best answer your questions.
Reply:
Our I485 was approved but priority date retrogress and we are waiting for priority date to be current.

LdiJ

Reply:
Our I485 was approved but priority date retrogress and we are waiting for priority date to be current.
I assume that is why they issued the EADs? Go ahead and give them to your employers. It cannot hurt to do so. In any case, conventional wisdom is that you should not leave the country in situations like that one. You should stay put until your priority date is current.

Again, speak to your immigration attorney. They are in the better position to advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">