• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leena Albright

Delaware..... what can I do about my homeowners insurance refuses to replace my roof that was damaged by a hurricane even after the insurance company sent a contractor who agreed with my contractor that the whole roof needs to be replaced

PayrollHRGuy

Delaware..... what can I do about my homeowners insurance refuses to replace my roof that was damaged by a hurricane even after the insurance company sent a contractor who agreed with my contractor that the whole roof needs to be replaced
What state are you in?

What has the insurance company said about the reason for denying your claim?

quincy

What was the reason for the refusal? Act of God exclusion?

The state is Delaware.

quincy

So both your contractor and the insurance company contractor have said that the entire roof needs replacement? Have you asked your insurance agent or insurance adjuster why the insurance company is refusing to follow their own contractor’s assessment?

I suggest you continue to press for full replacement. You might even want a third independent contractor’s report to support the assessment of the other contractors. And you could contact an attorney in your area for, first, a review of your policy and the contractors’ reports and, second, to draft a letter to your insurer with a threat of legal action if the terms of the policy are not honored.

zddoodah

what can I do about my homeowners insurance refuses to replace my roof that was damaged by a hurricane even after the insurance company sent a contractor who agreed with my contractor that the whole roof needs to be replaced
I'm sure you can do lots of things. For starters, please clarify something: Are you saying that the insurer is willing to pay for repair but not for replacement? If so, what is the basis of the insurer's decision? Please quote the relevant policy language.

quincy

If you do print relevant sections of your policy, please note that contract review and analysis falls outside the scope of this forum. You would still need a personal review of your policy by an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Opinions offered here are just opinions and should never take the place of reviews by licensed professionals in your own jurisdiction.

adjusterjack

One side fully replaced other side is the fix but has same problem as fully replace side according to the insurance contractor
High Leena, I am a retired property claims adjuster. Not only can I and will I discuss policy coverage (and I don't need to read yours to do so) but I can also take a look at photos of both sides of your roof and be able to tell you where your insurance adjuster is coming from.

To post photos here you'll have to find a hosting site and provide a link to it.

quincy

Seriously? There is no Act of God exclusion. Windstorm (an Act of God) is one of the basic perils of property insurance and the one listed right after Fire.
Thank you for the correction. Insurance is not my area of expertise. I am happy you have - or at least will - weigh in on the contractor’s assessment of the roof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">