• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

icantdu

What is the name of your state? IL

It doesn't make sense. The owner of my complex has in everyone's lease that cars with flat tires will be removed. A resident's car is still out in parking lot with flat tires. The owner and landlord have done nothing. Would I contact the state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

It doesn't make sense. The owner of my complex has in everyone's lease that cars with flat tires will be removed. A resident's car is still out in parking lot with flat tires. The owner and landlord have done nothing. Would I contact the state?
No - the state has nothing to do with it. You can contact the owner/landlord and report the vehicle, but there is not much else you can do. It's between the owner/landlord and the resident to whom the vehicle belongs.

zddoodah

The owner of my complex has in everyone's lease that cars with flat tires will be removed.
How do you know it's in everyone's lease? Have you seen everyone's leases? What exactly does this provision say? Don't paraphrase it; quote it.

A resident's car is still out in parking lot with flat tires.
"Still" meaning what? How long has it been there?

The owner and landlord have done nothing.
What is the distinction you are drawing between "owner" and "landlord"?

Would I contact the state?
Sorry, but why would you think any department/agency of the State of Illinois would care about a car with a flat tire that is located on private property?

I'm not sure why this is your concern, but if you want to advocate that the landlord enforce a provision that may or may not be in the lease of the owner of the car, then contact the landlord.

adjusterjack

Mind your own business lest you call attention to yourself and one day you have a flat tire and find your car gone.

quincy

If you are really bothered by the fact that there is a car with flat tires sitting in the parking lot of your apartment complex - and the owner/landlord has in fact chosen to ignore the (possible) lease violation for a week or more - you can check with your county to see if it has an ordinance that addresses inoperable vehicles on public and private property.

If there is such an ordinance, the owner of the inoperable vehicle potentially can be fined and/or can have their car towed away.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/005500050K5-1092.htm

It is possible that the owner/landlord has already spoken to the tenant and has given the tenant time to fix the vehicle.

Although having an inoperable vehicle sitting around can be eyesore and can affect a property’s value, I like adjusterjack’s response. Sometimes it is best to let things like this go. Another suggestion is to see if the tenant is struggling financially and offer to purchase a set of tires for him/her.

icantdu

Well I live in a democratic state. So they are big on emissions etc. so why wouldn't they be hard on cars with flat tires hurting the environment somehow?

icantdu

Most landlords are tough on this area regardless of financial excuses. Unless the person was homeless. But still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">