• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicare part B enrollment issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay968

What is the name of your state?California
Can anyone please help? I have no idea where to turn...
I have been on my wife's health plan with Kaiser and on medicare for the past 5 years. I did not sign up for medicare part B because I am on her plan.
She is retiring next month so I need to get onto part B ASAP.
I have filled out the required forms.
On Nov 15, I faxed them to social security. I've gotten no response.
On Dec 4 I mailed them to SS. I've gotten no response.
On Dec 12, I filled out the online enrollment form that SS provides. I've gotten no response other than the immediate email stating my application was submitted.
It is impossible to talk with a human being at SS without going through hours of being on hold on the phone or standing in line at an office. Their website states "contact medicare with status questions."
Medicare is totally useless. They do have an online chat which I have attempted several times and they have always said, they cannot help at all. They just tell me to ask social security.
Kaiser is of no help either. They just tell me to talk to either SS or medicare.

Is anyone familiar with any of these procedures?
How long does it take to actually get onto part B after doing any of the above?
My health plan ends at the end of January and I am beginning to think I may end up with no coverage at all by that point.
Please! I just don't know who to turn to at this point.

adjusterjack

On September 14 I requested that my direct deposit be changed to another bank. According to the form, the earliest deposit would be November - two months.

Just saying - the change could take two months.

It's also possible that multiple applications bogged you down in the system.

You probably should have applied online in the first place.

That you did apply online implies that you have an account.

The following page allows you to sign into your account and check your progress.

Check application or appeal status | SSA

Do that frequently.

The only other thing I can think of is having your wife continue her insurance under COBRA for another month or two with you as a dependent (if she's eligible to continue under COBRA).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Take a deep breath.

I work with people on a regular basis who are enrolling in Part B after being on their own or their spouse's employer sponsored insurance. If your current insurance doesn't end until the end of January, you are well within the standard time for processing. Don't be surprised if it's already well into January before you hear. It is by no means indicative of a problem if you haven't heard by mid-December for a February 1 effective date.

Jay968

Take a deep breath.

I work with people on a regular basis who are enrolling in Part B after being on their own or their spouse's employer sponsored insurance. If your current insurance doesn't end until the end of January, you are well within the standard time for processing. Don't be surprised if it's already well into January before you hear. It is by no means indicative of a problem if you haven't heard by mid-December for a February 1 effective date.
Thank you. That does help.

Jay968

On September 14 I requested that my direct deposit be changed to another bank. According to the form, the earliest deposit would be November - two months.

Just saying - the change could take two months.

It's also possible that multiple applications bogged you down in the system.

You probably should have applied online in the first place.

That you did apply online implies that you have an account.

The following page allows you to sign into your account and check your progress.

Check application or appeal status | SSA

Do that frequently.

The only other thing I can think of is having your wife continue her insurance under COBRA for another month or two with you as a dependent (if she's eligible to continue under COBRA).
There is no "check application status" area on the SS site. They merely say to contact Medicare to do this. Medicare is of no use whatsoever and only say "contact SS."
What you MAY be referring to is a check on social security status. I don't know.
Thanks though. I appreciate any help I can get.

commentator

Take a deep breath.

Absolutely agree with this. Especially the take a deep breath part. As it sounds, you're a little bit anxious and expecting awfully prompt service. And the filing of multiple forms may create some confusion when the agency does get around to processing this. I would not be at all surprised if you get a response to each one of the forms you have faxed, mailed in and submitted on line. Just not on the timeline you would prefer.

From the first time that the offices began to use on-line and telephone service instead of walk-in offices, people have still had to stand in line, as the designers of these on-line programs love to remind clients, you are just getting to stand in line at your own home. My suggestion if you really want to get in on one of those call-in help lines for the programs is to begin early in the day, probably not on a Monday, have a lot of time available for waiting, and resolve to wait it out. Somebody is getting through, or the lines would not all be busy, eventually it will be you.

Jay968

Absolutely agree with this. Especially the take a deep breath part. As it sounds, you're a little bit anxious and expecting awfully prompt service. And the filing of multiple forms may create some confusion when the agency does get around to processing this. I would not be at all surprised if you get a response to each of the forms you have faxed, mailed in and submitted on line. Just not on the timeline you would prefer.

From the first time that the offices began to use on line and telephone service instead of walk in offices, people have still had to stand in line, as the designers of these on line programs love to remind clients, you are just getting to stand in line at your own home. My suggestion if you really want to get in on one of those call in help lines for the programs is to begin early in the day, probably not on a Monday, have a lot of time available for waiting, and resolve to wait it out.
Thank you. Appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">