• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom could be in BIG trouble!!! HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Danetta

OK, my mother is disabled from a stroke she had 7 years ago. Her left arm is paralized, and she has small use of her left leg...she walks, but she drags her leg. Just alittle background there. Anyway, we are in Missouri. She was hanging around some drug users, pretty much for the attention they gave to her. They wound up using her home as a lab while she was asleep in her chair in the living room. Cops busted her door down, found my mom asleep in the chair, and everyone but her was arrested. One month later, they arrest her also. Her charge was possession of chemicals with the intent to manufacture a controlled substance. She attained a public defender, and he told her to plead guilty, and that it would greaten her chances for probation. I could understand if the sentence was just possession of chemicals, but adding the rest of that sentence is not right. She had no idea they were doing that, and had no part of it. The house however is in her name, so I can understand if they want to charge her with just possession. But can you picture a half paralized 47 yr old woman with half a brain due to a massive stroke attempting to manufacture meth? I told her to plead not guilty until they lessoned the charge and that no jury could find her guilty for that, but her attorney scared her and she plead guilty. Now we are waiting for sentensing. Prosecuting attorney has kept silent on probation, and her PSI has came up with the same conclusion. Although I think she could get probation, I really believe had she took this to court, they wouldve found her innocent of it. Am I wrong for thinking this? Also, I have my mother convinced that she would like to change her plea to not guilty...how hard is that, and how long does it take? She has a psychiatrist and medical doctors that are willing to testify on her behalf also. If I had to, I could get power of attorney over her, as she is really not the same lady she used to be, and is so gullable, that she believes anyone if they talk nice to her. Can my mother be spared this ouful crime on her record, or has she done went to far, and should I just shut up and let her lawyer do what he thinks is right? Frustrated in Missouri, Danetta

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">