• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Judgement (Child Support) - USA / Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunshine2468

Could someone please explain to me what a money judgement is?

A little background info: I am Canadian, the father of my children is American. I moved back to Canada with the children when they were young. He still resides in the USA. A child support court order was registered in both countries (I am the recipient, the father is the payor). Child support payments were sporadic over the years, we were in and out of court as the financial obligation was not being met. The Judge ordered money judgements a few times and they were registered in both the CAD and USA family courts. The Child support agreement has now ended. I don’t fully understand what my next step is to obtain arrears owing.

adjusterjack

He still owes you the arrears.

Contact the child support enforcement agency in the state where the court orders were made.

LdiJ

Could someone please explain to me what a money judgement is?

A little background info: I am Canadian, the father of my children is American. I moved back to Canada with the children when they were young. He still resides in the USA. A child support court order was registered in both countries (I am the recipient, the father is the payor). Child support payments were sporadic over the years, we were in and out of court as the financial obligation was not being met. The Judge ordered money judgements a few times and they were registered in both the CAD and USA family courts. The Child support agreement has now ended. I don’t fully understand what my next step is to obtain arrears owing.
If the Canadian child support enforcement agency continues to collect arrears for parents after the children age out and/or across borders then they would be your best resource. If they do not, you may need to hire a private attorney to attempt to collect the arrears. Just remember that you don't want to spend more money chasing money from him if there is no real hope of collecting. There are also some private collection agencies who will take on child support arrearage debt for a percentage of the amount collected. Some of them may be willing to accept cases from Canada.

Sunshine2468

Thank you both for your responses. I greatly appreciate it. The Canadian FRO (ISO unit) have closed my case file - so I am on my own to obtain arrears. I will look into the state child enforcement agency in the USA and see what my next step will be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">