• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother threatening to go back to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

I'm surprised nobody has asked what the child wants. If this is a class for something he loves, karate, art, soccer, whatever, why should he not be able to enjoy those things as a child because his parents aren't together anymore? I would have resented my dad if he refused to let me take lessons on his day because his wife and him couldn't be bothered to take me, especially when he's already working during the day and classes last what? An hour?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm surprised nobody has asked what the child wants. If this is a class for something he loves, karate, art, soccer, whatever, why should he not be able to enjoy those things as a child because his parents aren't together anymore? I would have resented my dad if he refused to let me take lessons on his day because his wife and him couldn't be bothered to take me, especially when he's already working during the day and classes last what? An hour?
Because the child is six. Do you ask your six yo if they want to go to the doctor or dentist? Which parent do they want to live with? Or if they'd rather live at Disneyworld?

When a parent has limited time with their child, the other parent shouldn't register the child for anything w/o discussion w/o discussion. Period. Most activities at this age will work with a parent in such situations. Dojos often have many intro/kids classes and allow the student to make up missed classes at another time.

Additionally, if it goes back to court, the parent making arrangements that interfere with the other parent's time AND involving the kid can expect to get an unpleasant earful from the court. That includes on-off activities like birthday parties, sleepovers, etc. The child should NEVER be told that they can't attend XYZ because the other parent "can't be bothered." Shame on the parent who does so.

isis297

We will agree to disagree. Your child will remember if you didn't care enough that it was important to him. It isn't his fault that you each have specific time with him because your marriage didn't work out. So kids of divorce aren't allowed to have activities because their parents couldn't make their marriage work? That's a horrible attitude.

LdiJ

We will agree to disagree. Your child will remember if you didn't care enough that it was important to him. It isn't his fault that you each have specific time with him because your marriage didn't work out. So kids of divorce aren't allowed to have activities because their parents couldn't make their marriage work? That's a horrible attitude.
No, it is that parents need to work together to make sure that any activities do not unfairly impact the other parent. It is a fine line.

If you knew how many custodial parents enroll their children in tons of activities just to thwart the other parent getting to spend any quality time with the children, you would understand better. Either the two parents come to an agreement, or a judge decides. It is that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">