• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex-Wife and I made a monitary contract outside our uncontested divorce case to speed up the process, can she somehow screw me up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My impression is that she wants the balance now.
But what can she do if she doesn't get it? If she claims there is no contract, then she has no claim on the money at all. If she claims the divorce is null and void because of the contract, she's going to have to spend more money than she'd be awarded in a settlement.

Furthermore, this is New York. If she wants to go to court, she'll have get in line. And due to COVID that line is long enough that by the time it's her turn, the year will be past tense.

bcr229

Why would you think she didn't sign her own copy of the contract? It wouldn't matter that she didn't sign yours, if she has your signature on her copy that's all she would need to take you to court if you breached it, and it doesn't appear like that's happened yet. Or do you have the only copy?

Logistically there are COVID-related issues with international travel and quarantine depending on the countries involved, and I don't believe she can add her travel costs (air fare, hotel, potentially time off from work if she has to quarantine at home after she returns, etc.) to her lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">