• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new lease required by landlord - are there alternatives?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ftmom17

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My son has been in a rental home for almost 2 years. The original lease agreement was for a one year lease and then month to month thereafter. My son and his wife just received notification that beginning in March 2024 they will need to resign a lease for either 6 months or 12 months and the month to month will no longer be an option, noting that the landlord's bank is requiring this new lease.
My son (US Navy veteran) is graduating from college at the end of April and is currently searching other areas in the state for employment, if he signs a 6 month lease in March that either keeps him in his current city for 4 months longer than they are planning or he will be responsible for (possibly if it is not rented to another tenant) the balance of the rent which is $8000 ($2000 a month).
Is there any legal stance my son can take to remain in the month to month until the end of April (2 months past when the new updated lease must be signed)? The landlord is not super friendly, my son is willing to talk to him about this but wants to have the facts first.

adjusterjack

Is there any legal stance my son can take to remain in the month to month until the end of April (2 months past when the new updated lease must be signed)?
No.

He either signs, moves, or risks getting evicted if he does neither.

One option is for him to offer a higher rent to continue on month to month.

Another option is to move back in with you. ;)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My son has been in a rental home for almost 2 years. The original lease agreement was for a one year lease and then month to month thereafter. My son and his wife just received notification that beginning in March 2024 they will need to resign a lease for either 6 months or 12 months and the month to month will no longer be an option, noting that the landlord's bank is requiring this new lease.
My son (US Navy veteran) is graduating from college at the end of April and is currently searching other areas in the state for employment, if he signs a 6 month lease in March that either keeps him in his current city for 4 months longer than they are planning or he will be responsible for (possibly if it is not rented to another tenant) the balance of the rent which is $8000 ($2000 a month).
Is there any legal stance my son can take to remain in the month to month until the end of April (2 months past when the new updated lease must be signed)? The landlord is not super friendly, my son is willing to talk to him about this but wants to have the facts first.
He doesn't actually graduate from college until the end of April. That would leave him only 4 months to decide and find a job going forward if he signs a six month lease. Unless he anticipates already having plans solidified for the end of April it would seem to me like a six month lease would be best for him at this point. Getting permission to extend month to month to only the end of April seems shortsighted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">