• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment of Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JG42

What is the name of your state? Washington
My Sig. Other works for a small photography business, and is usually paid every two weeks. He has not been paid for the past 4 weeks now, and I have reason to think the business he works for has financial troubles and may not be able to pay him. I have encouraged him to seek other employment. In the meantime, is there any way he can ask for unemployment or other compensation to cover the wages he is not being paid? Can he draw unemployment if he quits his job because he hasn't been paid?

JETX

"In the meantime, is there any way he can ask for unemployment or other compensation to cover the wages he is not being paid?"
*** No. He is NOT unemployed at this time and therefor (DOH!!), not eligible for UNEMPLOYMENT compensation.

"Can he draw unemployment if he quits his job because he hasn't been paid?"
*** The decision on whether he qualifies for unemployment or not is made by the EC agency. If you are considered that 'quitting without cause' may prevent him from collecting, he could simply claim it as 'constructive termination'.

I would suggest that he consider filing a wage complaint with your state labor agency.

Oh, and if the employer does file for bankruptcy, he could get nothing from the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">