• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio-Name Change for Adult Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aries75

OHIO: My son will turn 18 this summer. I contacted an attorney about adult guardianship that will go into affect when he does turn 18 due to his DD. The board of DD has offered to assist with paperwork, but I’m more comfortable going through an attorney to ensure that nothing is missed since his dad & I are divorced. The attorney said that we will start the process about three months prior to him turning 18 & that my husband (step-dad) & I can be joint guardians as he has been successful with this in the past.

We had previously wanted for my husband (step-dad) to adopt him, since my son‘s dad has not been involved in many years, has been homeless throughout the years & involved in drugs. My attorney said that adoption is much different & we would need the father’s consent or there’s a good chance it will be denied. I mentioned the adoption when my ex made contact two years ago, and he said he would never agree to the step-parent adoption, so we didn’t pursue it. We have not heard from his dad since.

Question: Would I be able to sign to change my son’s name when he is 18? I plan on bringing this up with my attorney when we meet to officially begin the guardianship process, but I’m curious to know if this is even a possibility or if I should just forget it.

adjusterjack

My attorney said that adoption is much different & we would need the father’s consent or there’s a good chance it will be denied.
I'm not so sure that it applies when the child becomes an adult.

Read the following:

ADULT (mcohio.org)

Ohio Law Permits Adult Adoption | Attorney at Law Magazine

Is your son competent to give consent? His 18th birthday is a game changer. He can make his own decisions if he's capable of doing so and wouldn't necessarily need the other bio-parent's involvement.

I don't know the extent of his DD. Just giving you something to think about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">