• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachelz

I live in a row home and my property is street to street. This past year I had created a parking area on my property so I can have a place to park (parking can be premium). I followed the borough's rules and even paid to have it lined off for no parking. My neighbor in the back to my right (we will call her Betty) was told last year of my intentions to create the parking spot and I told betty she will need to either pull her car up or park somewhere else. Her next-door neighbor (Jr) insists on parking exactly in front of his house even though he can pull up about 3 feet to allow Betty to park up further. So, Jr parks right on her front bumper forcing Betty to park further back blocking my driveway. Now Betty is my stepcousin's mother-in-law and Betty is in her 80's. I also let her keep her garbage cans on the side of her house which is my property. I have Talked to my cousin constantly about Betty blocking my driveway and I haven't been parking out back much because I don't know if my driveway will be blocked. In the last 7 months I have been lucky to park on the street in front of my house and only had to park out back a handful of times. To make matters worse Sr. (Jr's Dad) lives across the street and if I dare get my way because I were to break his rules, Sr will teach me a lesson. Sr. is the one who started the rule you must park exactly in front of your house. This past winter he dumped snow in front of my driveway knowing I would need to park there, while Betty sat there and didn't say a word, because she doesn't want to get in the middle of it and she gets her sidewalk cleaned of snow. Sr is the main antagonist in this situation because he keeps filling Betty's head with nonsense. So, I need advice. I can call the cops on Betty and have her move (she a nice old lady)? She was told once already by the cops to move when they pained the lines out back and she wasn't happy about it.

Just Blue

I live in a row home and my property is street to street. This past year I had created a parking area on my property so I can have a place to park (parking can be premium). I followed the borough's rules and even paid to have it lined off for no parking. My neighbor in the back to my right (we will call her Betty) was told last year of my intentions to create the parking spot and I told betty she will need to either pull her car up or park somewhere else. Her next-door neighbor (Jr) insists on parking exactly in front of his house even though he can pull up about 3 feet to allow Betty to park up further. So, Jr parks right on her front bumper forcing Betty to park further back blocking my driveway. Now Betty is my stepcousin's mother-in-law and Betty is in her 80's. I also let her keep her garbage cans on the side of her house which is my property. I have Talked to my cousin constantly about Betty blocking my driveway and I haven't been parking out back much because I don't know if my driveway will be blocked. In the last 7 months I have been lucky to park on the street in front of my house and only had to park out back a handful of times. To make matters worse Sr. (Jr's Dad) lives across the street and if I dare get my way because I were to break his rules, Sr will teach me a lesson. Sr. is the one who started the rule you must park exactly in front of your house. This past winter he dumped snow in front of my driveway knowing I would need to park there, while Betty sat there and didn't say a word, because she doesn't want to get in the middle of it and she gets her sidewalk cleaned of snow. Sr is the main antagonist in this situation because he keeps filling Betty's head with nonsense. So, I need advice. I can call the cops on Betty and have her move (she a nice old lady)? She was told once already by the cops to move when they pained the lines out back and she wasn't happy about it.
Interesting story taking place in unknown State. If you have an actual question, please ask. Include the state as well.

quincy

If the police told Betty to move her car once, call the police again. Nice old lady or not, if she is interfering with any parking rights held by you (and I don’t know if you actually have rights or not), she needs that made clear.

rachelz

Interesting story taking place in unknown State. If you have an actual question, please ask. Include the state as well.
[/QUOTE

I'm in Pennsylvania, and I have the right to add the driveway, and have it lined off per the borough I live in. I was granted the easement from the street to access my property for parking on it. I want to know what show I do in this situation. I call the police? This opens up a whole can of worms. I also risk the neighbor playing stupid game in winter to teach me a lesson. The county I live in will not process warrants (which he has many).

rachelz

If the police told Betty to move her car once, call the police again. Nice old lady or not, if she is interfering with any parking rights held by you (and I don’t know if you actually have rights or not), she needs that made clear.
I do have the rights, per the borough I live in. I did everything by the book, and she knows this but refuses to listen to me but the neighbor across the street. I live in PA.

quincy

I do have the rights, per the borough I live in. I did everything by the book, and she knows this but refuses to listen to me but the neighbor across the street. I live in PA.
Thank you for answering our questions.

If your nice old neighbor refuses to recognize your parking rights, and you and all of your neighbors cannot/will not accommodate the parking needs of each other even after civil discourse, you could let your immediate neighbor know that you might have to take action to enforce your rights. Are you able to post signs on your street (e.g., tow away zone)? Enforcement potentially could include having your neighbor’s vehicle towed.

Be aware that any action you take that has not been reached by mutual agreement with your neighbor is likely to adversely affect the relationship you have with your neighbor.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Nice old Betty doesn't sound so nice. Call the cops when she blocks your driveway.

It's against the law to dump snow in the street as described, so drop a dime on Sr when he's being a putz.

Or you can be a pushover and pay for a driveway and snow removal for Betty. But I bet she won't use it.

adjusterjack

Betty blocks the driveway, Betty gets the ticket. Period.

Sr does shit to you, get a restraining order or get him cited for dropping snow and blocking your driveway. Make sure you have video.

You either stand up to these people (relatives or not) or you lie down and be a doormat so they can walk all over you.

quincy

If all that is needed is an additional 3 feet, you might want to speak with Junior first. Perhaps he could be convinced that his parking directly in front of his house is causing problems for others on the street. Implore him to move up his vehicle just a few feet to accommodate the nice old lady’s vehicle. Try to figure out some sort of incentive that makes this option a desirable one for him. If you can somehow get him to agree to a slight change in his parking, nothing else will need to be done.

FarmerJ

I didnt see this addressed BUT had you thought about asking your city if they have a ordinance that says one property owner cannot move snow to another persons property ( like blocking your drive way with snow from city street or snow from his own property ? Even in this rural township i live in it is against the law for the one neighbor on the corner to push her snow across the road and onto our property. SO check it out and if your city says he cant do that then maybe you should record him doing it this winter.

quincy

I didnt see this addressed BUT had you thought about asking your city if they have a ordinance that says one property owner cannot move snow to another persons property ( like blocking your drive way with snow from city street or snow from his own property ? Even in this rural township i live in it is against the law for the one neighbor on the corner to push her snow across the road and onto our property. SO check it out and if your city says he cant do that then maybe you should record him doing it this winter.
In Pennsylvania, it is illegal in most (if not all) areas to shovel, throw or plow snow from sidewalks onto street parking, driveways, or into alleys or right of ways, and it is illegal in most (if not all) areas of Pennsylvania to shovel, throw, plow or dump snow or ice across a street.

Certainly the neighbor who is doing this can be reported and could/should be cited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">