• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preventing personal rep. from keeping funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanWard

These scenarios are very real

The questions about which will is the legal will are:

1. Someone dies in an accident and the will they had is lost or destroyed. The only copy of the will is with their lawyer. Or they could have voided the original will a couple years after the original was made by the lawyer. Can the lawyer use the copy they have to help the will executor in some way to get property to beneficiaries?

As far as myself I seem to recall someone saying the copy I have is the "only" valid will because it is the only proof that there is not a more current dated will. (who knows someone could lose the copy they have, tore up the copy they had and before getting the new one to someone they die)

Can you explain this real life scenario giving some details what are does and don'ts for all of us since we all, hopefully, have a will and made one before it was too late.
Thanks.

My father had 5 wills and he changed them often over a period of 10-12 years. Fortunately his "latest" will was the one we found in his home.

2. another day

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
These scenarios are very real

The questions about which will is the legal will are:

1. Someone dies in an accident and the will they had is lost or destroyed. The only copy of the will is with their lawyer. Or they could have voided the original will a couple years after the original was made by the lawyer. Can the lawyer use the copy they have to help the will executor in some way to get property to beneficiaries?
That's a great question to ask of the lawyer.

As far as myself I seem to recall someone saying the copy I have is the "only" valid will because it is the only proof that there is not a more current dated will. (who knows someone could lose the copy they have, tore up the copy they had and before getting the new one to someone they die)
Not a question.

Can you explain this real life scenario giving some details what are does and don'ts for all of us since we all, hopefully, have a will and made one before it was too late.
Thanks.
That topic is much too broad. Each person should seek out the answer(s) to that question based on their own specific set of circumstances.

My father had 5 wills and he changed them often over a period of 10-12 years. Fortunately his "latest" will was the one we found in his home.

2. another day
Not a question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">