• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Provisional Application Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RichardB1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I've came up with an invention. I came up with this after several problem while shopping online and in-store.

A decent amount of information online says that a person should file a provisional application to protect it while in the development stage. I've read information that the provisional should be as detailed as possible because you can't add new information to it.

This has got me scrambling for weeks now. The invention is going to be a method/process of getting coupons online that can work online and in-stores. Do I have to describe how the website is going to be made (such as information regarding the server, network and etc)? I know a little bit about creating websites but I would have to discuss the invention with someone with more of a background to get specific details.

And I know a general idea of how the coupons will work with retailers; I don't know the actual specifics details such as integrating with p.o.s (point of sale) systems . Once again this would be something I would have to discuss with someone more experienced in the field.

This invention is doable its just a different method/process of getting coupons.It will work like any other coupon people use now online and in-store just a different way of getting them. The problem is most say include a lot of details (in provisional application) but in my situation in order to do this I'm going to need to discuss the invention with others before filing the provisional. This risk someone filing first and speaking about it before filing.

What to do in this situation?

Thanks.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I've came up with an invention. I came up with this after several problem while shopping online and in-store.

A decent amount of information online says that a person should file a provisional application to protect it while in the development stage. I've read information that the provisional should be as detailed as possible because you can't add new information to it.

This has got me scrambling for weeks now. The invention is going to be a method/process of getting coupons online that can work online and in-stores. Do I have to describe how the website is going to be made (such as information regarding the server, network and etc)? I know a little bit about creating websites but I would have to discuss the invention with someone with more of a background to get specific details.

And I know a general idea of how the coupons will work with retailers; I don't know the actual specifics details such as integrating with p.o.s (point of sale) systems . Once again this would be something I would have to discuss with someone more experienced in the field.

This invention is doable its just a different method/process of getting coupons.It will work like any other coupon people use now online and in-store just a different way of getting them. The problem is most say include a lot of details (in provisional application) but in my situation in order to do this I'm going to need to discuss the invention with others before filing the provisional. This risk someone filing first and speaking about it before filing.

What to do in this situation?

Thanks.
For the provisional patent application, you need to describe how your patent is made and how it will be used.

You will need to file your formal patent application within one year of your PPA filing date and it will be the formal application that will need to be more detailed.

If you want to consult with an expert prior to filing your PPA, however, and you want to ensure (as best as possible) that your invention is not disclosed, you can have the expert sign a non-disclosure agreement.

For more information, you can visit the USPTO site (http://www.uspto.gov). And, of course, you will be best served by sitting down with a patent attorney, but I understand the costs involved.

The majority of patent applications will give rise to questions from the examiner, before any patent is approved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">