• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Provisional Patent Expired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbc841

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I created a prototype of a new kitchen appliance - and went through Legal Zoom.com to have a patent search done and to acquire a provisional patent.

The provisional patent has since expired - do I need to get a NEW provisional patent or can I get a permanent patent? Is it possible that someone else could have patented my idea AFTER my provisional patent expired? Do I need to have a NEW patent search done?

FlyingRon

Neither. Your invention is no longer patentable BY ANYBODY since you no longer meet the novelty test.

To get patent protection you have to have either filed a non-provisional patent on the invention or converted the provisional application to a non-provisional application within the twelve months following the provisional filing.

If someone filed for a patent on the claims you made in the provisional after you filed the provisional you can certainly make valid argument that if their patent was issued, it is invalid due to prior disclosed art.

mbc841

Neither. Your invention is no longer patentable BY ANYBODY since you no longer meet the novelty test.

To get patent protection you have to have either filed a non-provisional patent on the invention or converted the provisional application to a non-provisional application within the twelve months following the provisional filing.

If someone filed for a patent on the claims you made in the provisional after you filed the provisional you can certainly make valid argument that if their patent was issued, it is invalid due to prior disclosed art.
Thanks!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">