• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Facebook page - stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

Sorry to be late in replying. I am recovering from a 5 week stay in the hospital and PT/OT rehab (not Covid). after 5 weeks flat on my back, I now have home health visits- sometimes multiple a day - to get to walking, etc. again. I could not even use a tablet so am way behind. After an extra long therapy appt today, even my fingers hurt so please excuse the typos. After this, I am trying to cleanup several longstanding legal issues.

There are multiple states. There are no orders that I am aware of. Since the refusal to repay the debt I have discovered that the other person involved had violated federal law, falsified federal affidavits and, likely, bank documents. Unfortunately, many of the actions occurred early during the loan period and are beyond the SOL

The debtor defaulted on a promissory note with a balloon payment and left their former residence without giving notice or a forwarding address. This debt is now nearly 2 years in default.They did not respond to emails. It took me months to locate them. Certified letters to their home (and also Sec of State business location and registered agent address) have been returned. The business actually operates in a multi building commercial area referenced by name rather than physical addresses. The business is open normal business and has the debtor as the only stated employee so they cannot be at the house or RA address for service there. The only place I was able to find a physical address for the business is on its Facebook page created about 10 months after the returned certified letter. Obviously this is needed for the sheriff to serve the documents.

I have tried repeatedly to get them to repay the debt; at the time they skipped out on the debt, they should have had several hundred $K - far more than what they owe me.

The debtor finally has contacted me by email with a settlement offer; I countered with a draft of a promissory note which they refuse to sign. Their offer was unenforceable, was for a greatly extended time period, was significantly less than what is now owed and would be owed at the very nominal 3.5% rate, and was in very small monthly payments. I have rejected the offer albeit delayed by my illness which had been communicated prior to my hospitalization. In order to finish my filing, I needed to make a collection attempt which I did by priority mail.

My refusing to agree to their terms (I admit I said I would no longer be taken advantage of financially by the debtor) and a prior refusal to pay another $10,000 debt of theirs (for which they would not be repaying me) triggered them.

I do not know what someone is to do when a document needs top be transmitted and the recipient will not accept mail or email.

quincy

Sorry to be late in replying. I am recovering from a 5 week stay in the hospital and PT/OT rehab (not Covid). after 5 weeks flat on my back, I now have home health visits- sometimes multiple a day - to get to walking, etc. again. I could not even use a tablet so am way behind. After an extra long therapy appt today, even my fingers hurt so please excuse the typos. After this, I am trying to cleanup several longstanding legal issues.

There are multiple states. There are no orders that I am aware of. Since the refusal to repay the debt I have discovered that the other person involved had violated federal law, falsified federal affidavits and, likely, bank documents. Unfortunately, many of the actions occurred early during the loan period and are beyond the SOL

The debtor defaulted on a promissory note with a balloon payment and left their former residence without giving notice or a forwarding address. This debt is now nearly 2 years in default.They did not respond to emails. It took me months to locate them. Certified letters to their home (and also Sec of State business location and registered agent address) have been returned. The business actually operates in a multi building commercial area referenced by name rather than physical addresses. The business is open normal business and has the debtor as the only stated employee so they cannot be at the house or RA address for service there. The only place I was able to find a physical address for the business is on its Facebook page created about 10 months after the returned certified letter. Obviously this is needed for the sheriff to serve the documents.

I have tried repeatedly to get them to repay the debt; at the time they skipped out on the debt, they should have had several hundred $K - far more than what they owe me.

The debtor finally has contacted me by email with a settlement offer; I countered with a draft of a promissory note which they refuse to sign. Their offer was unenforceable, was for a greatly extended time period, was significantly less than what is now owed and would be owed at the very nominal 3.5% rate, and was in very small monthly payments. I have rejected the offer albeit delayed by my illness which had been communicated prior to my hospitalization. In order to finish my filing, I needed to make a collection attempt which I did by priority mail.

My refusing to agree to their terms (I admit I said I would no longer be taken advantage of financially by the debtor) and a prior refusal to pay another $10,000 debt of theirs (for which they would not be repaying me) triggered them.

I do not know what someone is to do when a document needs top be transmitted and the recipient will not accept mail or email.
I am sorry you are having health issues.

What does all of this have to do with stalking on Facebook?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am sorry you are having health issues.

What does all of this have to do with stalking on Facebook?
I was going to say I thought t74 was on the wrong thread, but then I realized that it's probably t74's gathering information from the debtor's FB page to help with serving the legal documents that led to "a person" claiming that doing so could be considered "stalking".

quincy

I was going to say I thought t74 was on the wrong thread, but then I realized that it's probably t74's gathering information from the debtor's FB page to help with serving the legal documents that led to "a person" claiming that doing so could be considered "stalking".
Ahhh. That’s a possibility.

If that is the case, it would not be stalking. It would be a legitimate way to gather information about a person. Public postings on the internet have tripped up more than a few people. These public postings can be, and often are, used in court to the poster’s disadvantage.

eerelations

I once joined a FB group (a Lake Chapala group where I live) and shortly thereafter acquired a stalker. He was saying incredibly nasty and threatening things to me, so I reported him to the group's admin. She said she couldn't do anything about it. So I blocked him and formally left the group. Two weeks later he attacked me on the street. I then re-joined the group and PM'd the admin what had happened. She said this wasn't her responsibility and then blocked me from the group. I consider myself lucky that I haven't met the stalker again. (I have heard that he was run out of town by others who didn't like him, but that's just rumour.)

Just Blue

I once joined a FB group (a Lake Chapala group where I live) and shortly thereafter acquired a stalker. He was saying incredibly nasty and threatening things to me, so I reported him to the group's admin. She said she couldn't do anything about it. So I blocked him and formally left the group. Two weeks later he attacked me on the street. I then re-joined the group and PM'd the admin what had happened. She said this wasn't her responsibility and then blocked me from the group. I consider myself lucky that I haven't met the stalker again. (I have heard that he was run out of town by others who didn't like him, but that's just rumour.)
Did he physically attack you or verbally attack?

eerelations

Did he physically attack you or verbally attack?
He drove his big motorcycle (one a these Honda 750s or so, I would say a Harley except that might add an inch his penis) really fast right up to my legs - like within two inches - and then before I could jump out of the way (I had my bum up off the bench and legs tensed ready to run) he screeched to a stop and started yelling expletives (like the B-word and the C-word, and eff-this and that). He then pulled away so fast that dirt and leaves and stones flew up into my hair and face. I tried to clean out most of it, but when I got home my husband had to pull/clean out a lot more, and then I had to have a shower.

Just Blue

He drove his big motorcycle (one a these Honda 750s or so, I would say a Harley except that might add an inch his penis) really fast right up to my legs - like within two inches - and then before I could jump out of the way (I had my bum up off the bench and legs tensed ready to run) he screeched to a stop and started yelling expletives (like the B-word and the C-word, and eff-this and that). He then pulled away so fast that dirt and leaves and stones flew up into my hair and face. I tried to clean out most of it, but when I got home my husband had to pull/clean out a lot more, and then I had to have a shower.
What a richard!! ...but that (bolded) was funny.

quincy

I don't think this is the kind of thing that Mexican police are interested in. Especially 'cause it's gringo-on-gringo.
I have tried very hard to protect my real identity when posting on social media sites. There are far too many crazy people lurking online to make me comfortable disclosing too much. My wife and I have avoided Facebook for that reason.

Unfortunately, no one is really anonymous online. Identities can be revealed, if not through the use of real names then through the contents of postings.

It was easy for me to identify my past “anonymous” online harassers because, quite frankly, they were stupid. Had any of them become more threatening than they were, I would not have hesitated to report them to the police and potentially sought restraining orders. Luckily, it never came to that.

I do understand that the situation might be different in Mexico but, even in the U.S., police will take a report but do little else unless there is physical violence. The FBI’s cybercrime unit can be helpful but, again, the threats must be serious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">