• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misterskyline

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello.. my domestic partner and I share 2 kids together and have lived together for close to 10 years in her property and 2 years in my property before that. I'm a 38m and she is a 36f. Few months back our relationship has hit a rough patch and she is not interested in continuing together. But she just wants to be friends and for me to continue living here so i can take care of our kids while she works over 40 hours a week at the hospital. I'm assuming that's why she didn't kick me out. But i am heart broken and do not want to live in a place where i can't be with the woman i love in the way that i want. It's a very difficult decision to make also because i love our kids very much and want to be in their life as much as possible. I also am their primary care giver. I feed them, drive them, pretty much 90% of the care. She just works and sleeps and is depressed.. i tried my best to work things out with her but it doesnt seem to be working and she is still cold towards me and its very painful. My daughter also told me that mom told her that she is trying her best not to kick me out a few weeks ago. So either way, i feel my time here is coming to an end even if i choose not to make the first move. My question is.. what are my options? I read somewhere, if i leave, i basically give up the rights to my kids and she has full custody and can call all the shots. I would like to not throw away my rights to my kids if possible. Should i speak to a lawyer? Some advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

PS: I am currently not employed because i am financially well off, and i do own 2 properties with other assets, so i have a place to go as I'm sure that will matter if we go to court. My name is also on the birth certificates and the kids have my last name.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Should i speak to a lawyer?
Yes. And that's likely to be the best advice that you'll get here.

PS: I am currently not employed because i am financially well off,
Good. Then you can afford a lawyer.

What you've heard about giving up your kids is a load of bull. That you are the primary caregiver for your young children works in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">