• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about my girlfriend's things after she died?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purpleorchid

What is the name of your state? I live in Arizona

My girlfriend died a week ago. She didn’t have a will, so I’m assuming everything of hers is going belong to her parents. My gf lived with me at my house, so all of her things are here.

The first question I have is do I have to let her parents in to get her stuff or can I pack it all up in boxes and leave it for them at the door? I do not want them in my home. We've had problems with them in the past and that's why we've never had them over here before. They are very controlling though and I’m afraid they will push the issue.

The second question is about stuff we co owned. I know we split the cost of a lot of our furniture and appliances. As well as other things like tv's and exercise equipment. What happens with that stuff?

Third question I want to ask about is what about stuff that I don't know who bought? We are both women and the same size and we often shared the same clothes and jewelry. Some of the stuff I know for sure is mine or hers, but there's some stuff I honestly can't remember who bought.

Last question is about what if I don't have proof that I purchased something that I know I bought or was gifted. I'm worried about them asking about jewelry that I know for sure is mine, but they've seen her wear on multiple occasions. What happens if I can't find any proof that it's mine?

Thank you for taking the time to answer any of these questions.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My condolences on your loss. I'd pack up her things (and I know that won't be easy) and let them know they can pick them up at a mutually agreed time. AND.... if there is anything specific they're looking for, you'll make sure to keep an eye out in case it's not already packed.

I'm sure others will have additional thoughts.

Memory Eternal.

zddoodah

The first question I have is do I have to let her parents in to get her stuff or can I pack it all up in boxes and leave it for them at the door?
The latter.

What happens with that stuff?
Her estate is entitled to half of the value of all jointly owned property.

what about stuff that I don't know who bought?
The executor of the estate would have the burden of proving what stuff was solely or jointly owned by your GF.

What happens if I can't find any proof that it's mine?
Impossible to predict but see the most immediate prior response.

adjusterjack

The first question I have is do I have to let her parents in to get her stuff or can I pack it all up in boxes and leave it for them at the door? I do not want them in my home. We've had problems with them in the past and that's why we've never had them over here before. They are very controlling though and I’m afraid they will push the issue.
No, you don't have to let them into your home. Pack up the items. Make sure you make a photographic inventory of the items you pack. Find out when they want to pick up the stuff and have it out front when they get there.

The second question is about stuff we co owned. I know we split the cost of a lot of our furniture and appliances. As well as other things like tv's and exercise equipment. What happens with that stuff?
Personal property is presumed to be owned by the person who possesses it.

To that extent I agree with Zddoodah that half the value of the property may belong to the estate providing that the estate can prove the items it is entitled to. Understand that the "value" of personal property is its used value, usually pennies on the dollar for closing and household goods.

Bottom line, pack up what you don't mind parting with. Say "this is her stuff." Avoid arguments about anything else. Talking about it is the worst thing you can do because talking is what gets you in trouble.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I was thinking the same as jack. I do hope, however, that purpleorchid remembers that both she and they have suffered a loss of immeasurable proportions, and hopefully, all can be kind.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? I live in Arizona

My girlfriend died a week ago. She didn’t have a will, so I’m assuming everything of hers is going belong to her parents. My gf lived with me at my house, so all of her things are here.

Third question I want to ask about is what about stuff that I don't know who bought? We are both women and the same size and we often shared the same clothes and jewelry. Some of the stuff I know for sure is mine or hers, but there's some stuff I honestly can't remember who bought.

Last question is about what if I don't have proof that I purchased something that I know I bought or was gifted. I'm worried about them asking about jewelry that I know for sure is mine, but they've seen her wear on multiple occasions. What happens if I can't find any proof that it's mine?

Thank you for taking the time to answer any of these questions.
As someone else told you the value of anything that was a shared purchase is going to be yard sale/estate sale/thrift store value. I don't think that you need to really be concerned about that. Don't borrow trouble.

Pack up what you know to be hers, and then sit back and wait to see if her parents make any claims to her belongings. If they don't, you can eventually donate them somewhere that can use the items.

If you own your home however, there could be an argument made that any appliances or furniture that you purchased jointly was in lieu of rent on your girlfriend's behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">