• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refund policies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sue_ProSports

We are located in Santa Barbara, California.

During the weekend of September 16-18, our organization put on a vintage car show, golf tournament, road rally and Fete. It was well advertised by posters, TV, radio, newpapers and magazines.

On October 23, 2000, we received a letter from a woman demanding her money back stating 1) we'd given wrong directions to the Concours, 2) didn't tell her the event was on 2 different days and that she could have gone to the Sunday event instead of the Saturday one, 3)didn't know where to enter the Concours, 4)provided no handicapped parking, 5) had no carts available for disabled (Concours was on a golf course), 6) we were poorly organized, and after all of that she was 7) too tired to stay for the evening activities...etc. She stated that she'd spoken with someone who "told her she'd get a refund."

She further stated in her letter to us that she'd called our office 5 times and the accounting office twice after we 'failed to credit back her credit card.' We have NO record of those calls.

Our event manager at the time stated that she'd NOT received any phone calls from this person. She did say that she'd spoken with a volunteer (after she received the letter) who recalled speaking to this woman, but clearly told her that 'she'd ask about company policy - and could not assure anything!'

We responded to the woman's letter and apologized for the inconveniences regarding the car show at the golf course, we told her that our advertising was pretty clear about all aspects of the event (we even enclosed a copy of the brochure) AND told her if she'd asked for handicapped parking, it WAS available. (We did not provide golf carts for any disabled). We further explained that our policy is NOT to refund monies on the day of the event. We were committed to the Bacara Resort the $250 for the Fete Saturday evening and WE had a 72 hour cancellation policy with them.

She called us during NON working hours on November 20, 2000 and left a scathing voice message threatening to sue us, and 'come to Santa Barbara and get us...' She called us liars and numerous other names. We have saved the voice message, should she decide to take us to small claims court. It's pretty incriminating, to say the least.

I know from a PR point of view, we'd be better off to refund the money just to appease her. BUT legally do we have to refund money because 'she was too tired to attend the event?'

Is there a 'law' or something we can quote back to her that will let her know that we're sorry, but we just can't honor her request.

I know this seems like a trivial question to ask, but law suits and threats to 'come and get us' are NOT something I care to tangle with.

Thank you in advance.

PS We had three woman working the event with similar names...Deana, Armandina and Dawn...this only contributed to the confusion on this woman's part.

[Edited by Sue_ProSports on 11-22-2000 at 01:26 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You need to provide us with exact details of how all of these details she complained about were made clear.

Then we can go from there.

Also, what state are you from?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">